Making Co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry08

Reaction score
does anyone make their own Co2?

I have an empty Gas cylinder (Caravan) its in good condition. I was thinking of fully venting it and cleaning it. After filling it with a fermentable mixture just to create the Co2. I would fit a better valve to check actual presure achieved. I could probably fit a pressure release valve as well

I would appreciate your thoughts. I do not want to create an explodable device although. I was thinking a 9kg cylinder would do the job.

Co2 in cylinders can be hired or purchased but not cheap in Australia.

So Doable or not? that is the question so what is the answer.

Terry

"The answer is not important its how you ask the question"

fart in a bathtub...oh yay thats methane. they dont have weld supply shops in Sydney? Over here I would rather buy gas from a weld shop than a medical supply because industrial gasses have a higher purity than medical gasses(yes I know that sounds backwards). I think that Sydney is about the same size as Phoenix(not sure though), and there are many welding supply shops. Since co2 is a shielding gas for some wire feed applications, it should be a fairly common gas, unless for some reason unknown to me its a controlled substance. Either way I would avoid trying to make it due to the difficulty of controlling the compression that would be necessary to bottle it. On top of that I don't know of any fermentable mixture that would be capable of producing the volumes or pressures needed to compress it. But hey what do I know I'm just a drunk homebrewer:)

Thanks for comment. Hiring gas cylinders is expensive. If I was loaded I probably stick to single malt scotch. But I am retired and I am afraid Australia looks after Refugees better that we who have worked all our lives here. They get twice as much as retired Aussies get and extra benefits as well. My brother fought in Vietnam and he does a bit better but not as good as them. So like all countries it depends on your circumstance.

I will probably stick to bottles a poor mans keg.

Terry

The big problem with making your own CO2 is you'd need a compressor big enough to liquefy the gas then put it into the cylinder. Simply putting fermentables into the canister isn't going to generate enough pressure. We're talkin hundreds of atmospheres of pressure. So unless you have access to a machine shop or scuba shop It's not going to work.

Yeah - You would ever get the pressure you need. Co2 at high pressure is liquid. that's how they get so much CO2 into such a small cylinder.

And you cannot tell me there are no weld shops in Australia. call around. I am sure someone can fill you tank.

There was someone on the (cough cough) Green Board a while back who was trying to capture and re-use the CO2 from fermenation. No idea if he ultimately was successful, but I think he ended up spending a lot of money trying to build out his system. The purity issue is a big deal and probably the biggest challenge.

There are generators available for greenhouse use. But like it was said before, you'd need to collect, filter, and compress the gas into a liquid for bulk storage.

Yeah I guess it is a silly idea. I have these from time to time usually around midnight when I am in the mood to change the world. I wont tell you the good idea I had with our wood fire. Oh bugger it I will. I fitted a steel tube through the fire box with a fan attached. It worked fine for 15 minutes till it cooled the embers down and made the fire go out. My trouble is I believe my ideas will work and put in a lot of time proving myself wrong. Like a floating wind powered pool cleaner. Also worked but alge grew faster than it could filter.

Scratch making Co2 Thanks guys you have preventing me doing more damage to my ego.

Terry

Have a local Mate purchase your bottle and refill gas for you.
I wanted to go to Oz back in 71, was limited entry by not having a trade
and job available waiting for me at the time. My friend married a kiwi 20 years ago now lives on North Island.

Did not think it was that hard to apply for emigration. I was born in England and emigrated in 1964. Even have a slight Aussie accent.

"She'll be right cobber" you soon pick up the lingo. It took me a while to understand the buggers until I married one. Now I are one :)

Her name is Catherine and we have been married over 42 years. Bless her cotton socks. She is a real dinky di Aussie and I then 21 she a beautiful 17 year old well I was hopelessly lost. My plans to work my way round the world came to a crashing halt. No regrets, best thing that happened in my life.

Back