Post boil whirlpool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopOnHops

Reaction score
Im thinking of making an IPA and throwing in an ounce or two of hops at flameout and whirlpooling that for maybe 10 minutes or so before cooling. I would imagine this would give some nice flavor and aroma. Has anyone tried this?

Yes, frequently. Try adding once you're below 160F and whirlpooling a little longer. I think you'll like the results.

Yes, I add at flameout, put lid on(I do boil for 90 min though with no lid) and whirlpool for 20 min, then chill.

Yes, I add at flameout, put lid on(I do boil for 90 min though with no lid) and whirlpool for 20 min, then chill.

I'm guessing you haven't ever detected DMS with your method? I was listening to a podcast once, and some of the homebrewers were saying about how they don't even think about putting a lid over the wort until it is below 180 degrees. If this works for you, good to know that myth is debunked!

I'm guessing you haven't ever detected DMS with your method? I was listening to a podcast once, and some of the homebrewers were saying about how they don't even think about putting a lid over the wort until it is below 180 degrees. If this works for you, good to know that myth is debunked!

I stole this method from Mike (Tasty) McDole. I haven't used it that long but have not had any problems. My beer has gotten alot better in last 6 months actually. I'm constantly evaluating and refining my process but with a 90 min boil I feel comfortable putting the lid on an letting wort steep for 20 min then chilling.

Until I have any problems this is my preferred method:mug:

You can also whirlpool without the lid on, but I think you would be losing some of the aromas but with temp drops it's could possible be a recipe correction.

Back