American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walshy87 said:
Just out of curiosity... Why does the extract recipe call for more hops?

Its all about boil size.. full boils have better hop utilization. Extracts are usually smaller boil volume which needs slightly more hops.

Brewing this tomorrow. Sorry if this has been covered. I tried reading through and search but couldn't find what I wanted.

My brews have been coming out with a weird almost apple taste to it. I want to eliminate my water so I am going to use RO water. What kind of salts should I use? Using EZ spreadsheet, if I do 5.5 grams of CaCl2 I will get 50 ppm of Ca in my boil kettle. I also added 2 ounces of acid malt to bring the pH to 5.54. Does this sound ok?

I also want to try using sugar to carb instead of CO2. Beersmith says almost 2 ounces when I enter it all manually but the recipe I downloaded using Yooper's link it says to use 4 ounces. Which one should I use?

Edit: Went to my LHBS to get the ingredients. He tasted my Irish Red and agreed that it is most likely my water. He recommend I try spring water with some gypsum in it. I will be doing that with this batch to see how it comes out.

My brews have been coming out with a weird almost apple taste to it.

Acetaldehyde is the classic "green apple" off-flavor. Does it taste like that? If so I'd consider the health of your yeast.

Are you using liquid yeast? Are you making a starter?
What's your source and is there any opportunity for degradation during shipping or at the LHBS?
Are you brewing any big beers (high OG)?

Brewed this today but didn't have the amber malt on hand and only wanted a little additional color so I added .4oz of debittered black patent malt. I love the color, kind of mahogany, but that was way too much of the black malt. Probably about .1oz or .2oz would have done the trick.

Still, it smelled fantastic. I mashed low (151F) and had slightly more than 5 gallons so my efficiency was hurt (1.054) but it won't matter if it tastes great. I have a feeling the Pacman yeast I got is going to take this thing down close to 1.0.

Thanks for a great recipe!

homebrewhaha said:
Acetaldehyde is the classic "green apple" off-flavor. Does it taste like that? If so I'd consider the health of your yeast.

Are you using liquid yeast? Are you making a starter?
What's your source and is there any opportunity for degradation during shipping or at the LHBS?
Are you brewing any big beers (high OG)?

I don't want to hijack this thread but I don't think it is acetaldehyde. I believe it is my tap water. My process is pretty good. I have good cleaning and sanitation. Yeast starter with liquid. Yeast is always stored cold and fresh.

I'm going to try spring water with a little gypsum with this recipe to see how it turns out.

Make sure your fermenters are clean. It could be an infection. Give 'em a good dose of bleach.

It could be but I don't think it is. I'm getting it from all of my buckets and I clean them well. Soak in Oxiclean and sanitize well before use.

I brewed this yesterday and so far I think this was the best AG batch yet.

I hit pre boil gravity to within a few points. I collected the exact amount of wort from my mash tun as I wanted. I did boil off a little more than I thought so I had to top off with 3/4 gallon of boiled water but when I did that my OG was 1.074. I did use 14 pounds of 2 row because my efficiency has been low. We did 3 batches yesterday so I let it sit outside to cool down to pitching temp. I pitched US-05 when I got home. Right now my basement is kind of cold so it is at 57. I'm hoping it goes up during the day. If not I might need to go buy a heater of some kind for my fridge.

Brewed the extract version of this recipe last night. I think everything went ok, though I am a novice (third batch ever) so I don't really know quite what to look for. OG was 1.062, and fermentation started after about 18 hours.

Two weird things that didn't happen with my 2 other brews. First - the wort was clear, but when I mixed it, it threw up all kind of sediment that settled back down in a matter of seconds. Not sure if this was because of the amount of hops I used, or maybe the break was different, but it certainly seemed different than the other ipa I brewed, which was a kit from my LHBS. The other weird thing that I didn't experience with my other brews was I tried to use a paint strainer bag to filter out the hops. I clipped the bag to the primary, and poured the cooled wort into the bag. I poured about half the wort into the bag, and the bag got so heavy that it ripped the clips off the side of the bucket. I held the bag up and it had about 5 pounds of sediment in it that just wasn't draining. I had to dump the bag into the primary, sediment and all, which I know won't really be a big issue since I plan on using a secondary anyway. But I thought it was odd that the bag didn't filter out the hops and instead clogged. Should I have poured the top-off water into the primary BEFORE I poured the wort in? Would that have diluted it, and thus allowed the paint strainer to do its job and not clog?

Did I ruin the thing?? Sorry if this is off-topic, but I figured since I brewed this beer it would be a good place to go for either 1) peace of mind, or 2) condolences. :)

Two weird things that didn't happen with my 2 other brews. First - the wort was clear, but when I mixed it, it threw up all kind of sediment that settled back down in a matter of seconds. Not sure if this was because of the amount of hops I used, or maybe the break was different, but it certainly seemed different than the other ipa I brewed, which was a kit from my LHBS. The other weird thing that I didn't experience with my other brews was I tried to use a paint strainer bag to filter out the hops. I clipped the bag to the primary, and poured the cooled wort into the bag. I poured about half the wort into the bag, and the bag got so heavy that it ripped the clips off the side of the bucket. I held the bag up and it had about 5 pounds of sediment in it that just wasn't draining. I had to dump the bag into the primary, sediment and all, which I know won't really be a big issue since I plan on using a secondary anyway. But I thought it was odd that the bag didn't filter out the hops and instead clogged. Should I have poured the top-off water into the primary BEFORE I poured the wort in? Would that have diluted it, and thus allowed the paint strainer to do its job and not clog?

Did I ruin the thing?? Sorry if this is off-topic, but I figured since I brewed this beer it would be a good place to go for either 1) peace of mind, or 2) condolences. :)

It sounds ok! The paint strainers can clog with pellet hop debris, so don't worry about that. It happens to me too.

I don't use a secondary anymore, but if you do that's fine.

I'd like to make this brew in January, but my usual online sources are out of Amarillo and Simcoe. Are there acceptable substitutes, or do you expect the shortage to be eased a bit by January? Anyone know of a Canadian hop source that has Amarillo and Simcoe in stock?

so forgive me if this has been posted recently, but i don't exactly feel like reading 174 pages to find the answer......is the recipe the first post in the thread? I know that was posted before the final product had been sampled, but has it changed along the way?

so forgive me if this has been posted recently, but i don't exactly feel like reading 174 pages to find the answer......is the recipe the first post in the thread? I know that was posted before the final product had been sampled, but has it changed along the way?

No, it hasn't changed. It's against the forum rules to post a recipe that hasn't been brewed more than once, and needs to be repeatable. I brewed it and sampled it before posting, and many times after.

It's been brewed by me at least 25 times, probably more.

:eek: That is impressive, Yoop! I can only imagine what you have learned with that much experience.

Cheers!

I don't know how much I've learned, but my liver has had quite a workout! :D

I brew pretty often, and I stopped counting my batches several years ago but I guessed that I'm up over 350 batches or more, plus many batches of wine, mead, and cider. (I was a winemaker before brewing). Right now, I have more wine in fermenters than beer.

Since I like hoppy beers the most, I tend to brew more APAs and IPAs than other beers but right now I have an IPA on tap (this one), an amber, and a stout and a hoppy pale ale in the fermenter. I make a few lagers a year, a few other specialty beers (like california common) and then try to keep at least one other different beer on tap most of the time. I brew often, but not as much as I like. I brew maybe 3 times per month now.

I finally got around to brewing this recipe. My LHBS has Amarillo and Simcoe so I made a 10 gal batch Sat night. I brew in the garage and love brewing in the cold. My CFC knocked the temp down to 65F in no time. I split the batch between 2 buckets, 1 with US-05 and the other with Nottingham. The beer is happily fermenting at 63F.

Thanks for sharing this recipe!

hio3791 said:
I finally got around to brewing this recipe. My LHBS has Amarillo and Simcoe so I made a 10 gal batch Sat night. I brew in the garage and love brewing in the cold. My CFC knocked the temp down to 65F in no time. I split the batch between 2 buckets, 1 with US-05 and the other with Nottingham. The beer is happily fermenting at 63F.

Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Your LHBS has amarillo? I recommend going back today and buying as much as they will sell you. And then send some to me:)

My LHBS had amarillo too. The guy said he got about 50 ounces, and that would probably be it for the year. How long will those pellets stay good for if I throw them in the fridge? I may go back and get a few more, but I don't plan on using them for a couple months.

Your LHBS has amarillo? I recommend going back today and buying as much as they will sell you. And then send some to me:)

I was shocked they had it in stock! They don't carry Thomas Fawcett Amber Malt and I didn't want to pay ridiculous shipping charges for 12 oz so I went with Crisp Amber.

Just an update, checked on the beer this morning to find the bucket with Nottingham had kreusen coming through the airlock! I was purposely fermenting the beer on the low range to slow down the fermentation a bit and minimize the chances of a blowoff. Oh well for that!

Basement smells so nice, can't wait to try this beer!

Parkje04 said:
My LHBS had amarillo too. The guy said he got about 50 ounces, and that would probably be it for the year. How long will those pellets stay good for if I throw them in the fridge? I may go back and get a few more, but I don't plan on using them for a couple months.

Squeeze all the air out, wrap them up tight and store them in the freezer. They will be fine.

@Yooper:

I am curious about the differences in the AG recipe -vs- Extract. There seems to be more hops in the extract version and the SRM is darker than what BeerSmith calculates for the AG as well.
I brewed the extract recipe and it was great. Now, I want to do the AG version but I'm thinking I need to bump up the hops and adjust the grail bill for some color. Any thoughts on these things?

Your input is appreciated!

@Yooper:

I am curious about the differences in the AG recipe -vs- Extract. There seems to be more hops in the extract version and the SRM is darker than what BeerSmith calculates for the AG as well.
I brewed the extract recipe and it was great. Now, I want to do the AG version but I'm thinking I need to bump up the hops and adjust the grail bill for some color. Any thoughts on these things?

Your input is appreciated!

Since amber malt must be mashed, I sub crystal malt in the extract version, so it made a darker color. Since it's a partial boil, there are more hops.

If you follow the AG recipe, with the grainbill and the hopping, it'll be great.

Thanks for the lightning fast response! I do appreciate the explanations. On the hops, BeerSmith cacls ~107.5 IBU's for the extract but only ~57.4 for the AG. I guess this may be a BeerSmith thing but it's why I'm asking the questions. Since I do like big hops, I'm thinking of kicking it up a bit for grins... :D

I use bmw for getting my ingredients but cannot find pacman(wyeast 1764) yeast. What should I sub for it?

I use bmw for getting my ingredients but cannot find pacman(wyeast 1764) yeast. What should I sub for it?

I have used 1056 in the past. It came out perfect. BTW HomebrewHeaven, RebelBrewer, and MoreBeer have Pacman yeast.

Nagorg said:
Thanks for the lightning fast response! I do appreciate the explanations. On the hops, BeerSmith cacls ~107.5 IBU's for the extract but only ~57.4 for the AG. I guess this may be a BeerSmith thing but it's why I'm asking the questions. Since I do like big hops, I'm thinking of kicking it up a bit for grins... :D

Hop utilization is affected by wort gravity and extract brewers generally do partial boils hence the increase in hops to compensate for decreased utilization due to higher boil gravity. If you do extract but a full boil you'd need to use the AG recipe hop schedule. In beersmith for the extract recipe set the equipment profile to use a 3-5 gallon pot and the IBUs will fall back in line. :mug:

I just took a gravity reading and put in the hops for dry hopping. It was at 1.023. I used US-05. It started fermenting a little low maybe around 61 then it stayed right at 63 during peak fermentation and now it is going back to 61. Could that have slowed it down that much? When I put the lid back on I gave it a slight shake to move the yeast around a little. I might need to put a heater in my fridge to warm it up a little because it is getting cold in my basement now.

I just took a gravity reading and put in the hops for dry hopping. It was at 1.023. I used US-05. It started fermenting a little low maybe around 61 then it stayed right at 63 during peak fermentation and now it is going back to 61. Could that have slowed it down that much? When I put the lid back on I gave it a slight shake to move the yeast around a little. I might need to put a heater in my fridge to warm it up a little because it is getting cold in my basement now.

That's pretty cool for S05. I am not sure where it goes dormant, but you may be getting close at 61.

That's pretty cool for S05. I am not sure where it goes dormant, but you may be getting close at 61.

Yeah it could have gone a little lower at night too. Hopefully the yeast will start up again after the shake. Im going to build the light bulb in a paint can heater tomorrow and raise it to 65.

Hop utilization is affected by wort gravity and extract brewers generally do partial boils hence the increase in hops to compensate for decreased utilization due to higher boil gravity. If you do extract but a full boil you'd need to use the AG recipe hop schedule. In beersmith for the extract recipe set the equipment profile to use a 3-5 gallon pot and the IBUs will fall back in line. :mug:

Very good info... Yes, I was puzzled by the partial boil since I have been doing full boils. I also used the extract hop schedule with my full boil. That said, my IBU's must have actually been roughly as high as what BeerSmith calculated.

I guess it's a good thing that I'm adding hops to my AG version if I want it to be closer to the extract batch I made. From what you're telling me, I think I do need to add even more hops than what I have planed from this discussion...
:mug:

BREWING THIS TOMORROW! Very excited. First AGB.. I've revamped pretty much all of my equipment. finally made a stirplate and my first starter (which is spinning happily away as I type), new brew pot with all of the fixins from BobbyM, DIY Mash Tun (wife wasn't happy about me retiring the drink cooler lol with parts also from BobbyM) and I got rid of my old fermentor for a new carboy... Wish me luck

Brewed and in the fermentor.. heres hoping to a good brew. Came out a little lower gravity than planned at .052, but should still be good :) Thanks for the recipe!

Just brewed AG recipe yesterday. Went well and got 1.067 OG. Mashed at 153 and only lost 1 degree over an hour. I just realized today though I used a full 1 oz of Amarillo whole hops continuous from 35 min to flame out. I stuck to the rest of the original hop schedule. Think it will still be okay? I'm planning on dry hopping with 1 oz Amarillo and other 1/2 oz simcoe.

melche01 said:
Just brewed AG recipe yesterday. Went well and got 1.067 OG. Mashed at 153 and only lost 1 degree over an hour. I just realized today though I used a full 1 oz of Amarillo whole hops continuous from 35 min to flame out. I stuck to the rest of the original hop schedule. Think it will still be okay? I'm planning on dry hopping with 1 oz Amarillo and other 1/2 oz simcoe.

I have a hunch it will be quite delicious. Hopping from 35 mins to the end of the boil is for flavor and aroma hops. So you didn't really add much bitterness but upped the flavor and aroma a bit. Yum!

zeekage said:
I have a hunch it will be quite delicious. Hopping from 35 mins to the end of the boil is for flavor and aroma hops. So you didn't really add much bitterness but upped the flavor and aroma a bit. Yum!

Thanks. I think I just needed that reassurance I didn't screw up too much. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I brewed this up for the second time about three weeks ago. Hit my numbers (OG 1.070) and pitched my pack of Notty on top dry. It took about 36 hours to really get going, but no worries-- I know how yeast can be. I let it ferment in my swamp cooler at 66 for about a week, then pulled it out and let it ride in the guest bathroom around 68. Two days ago I went to dry hop, checked the gravity and was dismayed that it read 1.020! I've never had a problem with Notty attenuating before. I know that this is near the lower end of its attenuation range so I dry hopped per recipe, closed up the fermenter, gently roused the yeast and raised the temp to 74 to see if I can't squeeze a couple more points off in the next ten days.

Anyone else have any issues with Notty lately? I sourced mine from Midwest and did not note the production date so maybe it was old. I've been using the same hydrometer for my last 20 batches so I know that it is calibrated. The gravity sample tasted fine body and flavor wise so I decided to proceed. Pretty sure it will turn out fine just wanted to share my experience.

I brewed this up for the second time about three weeks ago. Hit my numbers (OG 1.070) and pitched my pack of Notty on top dry. It took about 36 hours to really get going, but no worries-- I know how yeast can be. I let it ferment in my swamp cooler at 66 for about a week, then pulled it out and let it ride in the guest bathroom around 68. Two days ago I went to dry hop, checked the gravity and was dismayed that it read 1.020! I've never had a problem with Notty attenuating before. I know that this is near the lower end of its attenuation range so I dry hopped per recipe, closed up the fermenter, gently roused the yeast and raised the temp to 74 to see if I can't squeeze a couple more points off in the next ten days.

Anyone else have any issues with Notty lately? I sourced mine from Midwest and did not note the production date so maybe it was old. I've been using the same hydrometer for my last 20 batches so I know that it is calibrated. The gravity sample tasted fine body and flavor wise so I decided to proceed. Pretty sure it will turn out fine just wanted to share my experience.

looks like you may have overworked the yeast. I would have added 2.

Back