English IPA - boosting late hop additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BullGator

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have been reading up on English IPA's. I understand they are more balanced than the American IPA's as far as malt to bitter. I get that part. What I am wondering is what would happen if I jack up the late hop additions and dry hop amount in order to increase aroma and/or hop flavor? Here's my recipe taken from Mrbowenz, Yooper, and Sister of the Sun:

Partial mash BIAB (I can only fit 8 lbs of grain in my pot)

Fermentables:
6.2lbs UK or Marris Otter 56.9%
1.0lbs crystal 60L 9.2%
0.5lbs Amber malt 4.8%
0.3lbs terrified wheat 2.8%
2.4lbs light muntons DME 22%
0.5lbs corn sugar 5%

Hops:
1.5oz EKG - 60min
0.5oz EKG - 30 min
0.5oz EKG - 20min
0.5oz EKG - 15min
0.5oz EKG - 10min
0.5oz EKG - 5min
1.0oz EKG - 0min
1.5oz Chinook - dry hop
1.5oz EKG - dry hop

Yeast:
Not sure yet. Maybe wlp-002 English ale or whatever white labs equivalent to yeast Thames valley, British ale (LHBS only carries white labs).

I know the Chinook is not an English hop but I have a bunch and mrbowenz and Sister of the Star both won numerous awards with it in their English IPA recipes (albeight at different addition times).

Also, I haven't put this into beersmith yet so I'm not exactly sure where all my numbers fall out.

Thoughts?

Terrified wheat, haha. I'm always a little wary when I see a pound of crystal, but I've not looked at the recipes you've mentioned. I'd think MO + Amber malt would be plenty on it's own, with maybe 4-8 oz crystal. That amber malt is strong stuff, 1/2lb should be great.

Have you considered WY1469 Yorkshire? Makes a great English IPA.

With that much Chinook, there's no point in the last four EGK adds, you'll never notice them.

TyTanium said:
Terrified wheat, haha. I'm always a little wary when I see a pound of crystal, but I've not looked at the recipes you've mentioned. I'd think MO + Amber malt would be plenty on it's own, with maybe 4-8 oz crystal. That amber malt is strong stuff, 1/2lb should be great.

Have you considered WY1469 Yorkshire? Makes a great English IPA.

Ya, things will get a little scary for my wheat (dam you autocorrect!).

The recipe I got that much crystal from really said 14.4oz. I guess I decided to make my life a little simpler. What's a 1 1/2 oz amongst friends anyways?

And the Chinook dry hop was supposed to be 1.25oz. Don't see how 0.25 oz dry hop will make much difference right?

Any last minute feedback? I'm about to place my grain order. Thanks

I agree with David- no chinook if you want the beautiful EKG flavor and aroma!

I love chinook- but it'll overpower the delicate EKG totally in the late additions. I'd save the chinook for something else.

Otherwise, I think it looks really good!

Yooper said:
I agree with David- no chinook if you want the beautiful EKG flavor and aroma!

I love chinook- but it'll overpower the delicate EKG totally in the late additions. I'd save the chinook for something else.

Otherwise, I think it looks really good!

The other (supposedly multi award winning) recipe had the Chinook as the first 60min hop addition (but it was 3oz!). Alternatively, your recipe used only EKG. I know you said your was really good. But what do you think about this 'hop bursting' with EKG on top of the typical English IPA hop schedule?

The other (supposedly multi award winning) recipe had the Chinook as the first 60min hop addition (but it was 3oz!). Alternatively, your recipe used only EKG. I know you said your was really good. But what do you think about this 'hop bursting' with EKG on top of the typical English IPA hop schedule?

I love it! My motto is "mo' hops is mo' betta".

For the chinook, I'd move it to FWH, or flavor hops if you want, but I think in later additions it would cover the EKGs too much.

I made the mrbowenz recipe with the chinook dryhop and will agree with the others. It defenitely gave the beer a punch over the EKG, although my EKGs were probably very weak. If you can (and want to), I'd dryhop the whole batch with your EKG, bottle/keg half, then dryhop the remaining with a proportional amount of Chinook for comparison. If you are on the fence, why not do both?

14thstreet said:
I made the mrbowenz recipe with the chinook dryhop and will agree with the others. It defenitely gave the beer a punch over the EKG, although my EKGs were probably very weak. If you can (and want to), I'd dryhop the whole batch with your EKG, bottle/keg half, then dryhop the remaining with a proportional amount of Chinook for comparison. If you are on the fence, why not do both?

Wow! Thanks for the input. The only reasons I was considering the Chinook was that I have a lot on-hand I need to use, I see EKG paired a lot, and I saw 2 recipes with the combo that claimed to win multiple high ranking awards. But after input from Yooper, I was thinking of going all EKG (all the beers I brew from her recommendations have been great so might as well stick with it). However, I might add the Chinook (like 1oz) as a FWH as she recommended in one batch as I have been wanting to try that anyways.

I have a ton of hops I need to use up so I actually plan on doing two 10 gallon batches over the next few weeks.

Yooper said:
I love it! My motto is "mo' hops is mo' betta".

For the chinook, I'd move it to FWH, or flavor hops if you want, but I think in later additions it would cover the EKGs too much.

When you say FWH, you mean adding them during the time it takes to heat my wort to a boil right? Or do you mean the 60min addition?

Back