Modifying Dead Ringer kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrlskr

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on adding 1/2oz of magnum hops for 60 min to this NB kit? I like Belle two hearted well enough, but prefer Stone IPA and Ruination. Will the magnum move this recipe in that direction?

Well they are both centennial hop based IPAs. I thought perhaps additional bittering was the main difference. Any other ideas?

Not sure about the hop schedule for Two Hearted, but here's the hop schedule for the Stone IPA clone from BYO in the Dec 2008 "Brewing In The Stone Age" article:
12g Magnum at 90min
18g Perle at 90 min
57g Centennial at 15min
28g Centennial dry hop
14g Chinook dry hop

Edit: Ruination uses Magnum at 90 minutes too, with Centennial at 15 and dry hop

Well they are both centennial hop based IPAs. I thought perhaps additional bittering was the main difference. Any other ideas?

All the clones for 2 Hearted I've seen have a healthy amount of Vienna, but I haven't seen any in clones for Stone IPA/Ruination. That, along with the Stones being more bitter are the major differences if I had to take a guess.

If you brew the Dead Ringer as per recipe, you will have a baseline. If you change it up before knowing how it tastes per recipe, your changes will be a crap shoot, maybe good, maybe bad. You won't know if it helped or hurt the recipe. MHO. I've got a Dead Ringer in primary, the most hops I've had in any kit so far!

Back