1st All Grain on RIMS Brew Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieselboy

Reaction score
Hello all,
So After buying my brew rig in april and finally getting it set up and clean I am going to brew my first all grain batch today. (see recipe here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/toecutters-brewery-blood-orange-belgian-wit-248280/) I am also using a refractometer to check my SG readings.
(guy threw it in when I bought it.) My question is should I mash out @ 170? after the 60 minute mash time? and then Fly Sparge for 30 min? or skip the mash out all together? Also at what times throughout the brewing process should I check the SG readings? Thanks For the help!

2012-07-05_22-29-32_323.jpg

2012-07-05_22-29-46_426.jpg

2012-07-05_22-29-58_359.jpg

2012-07-05_22-30-06_264.jpg

Nice rig. If you go to the all grain forum there are some sticky threads on commonly asked questions. I batch sparge, but I just take a gravity reading after running off from my mash tun. Then I use ray Daniels handy formulas to see if I am going to hit my og. If not, then he tells you how much light DME to add. Awesome looking rig by the way.

So My first brew on this was a bit of a learning curve. I missed the target mash in temp by about 10 degrees. ( I think due to the amount of metal i was heating starting the recirculation) So i mashed longer 20 min. longer untill my SG readings came out near my calcs. After brewing and transferring to my fermenters i waited 2 days to check for bubbles in my airlock. ( didnt have time to check on first day) There were no bubbles. I though i had pitched bad yeast. I was about to dump them yesterday. Before I did i checked they had fermented! So now I have beer. Anyone else have there primary fermentation last less than 2 days? I was using Wyeast 3944.

Back