Sour Apple Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GDRMaille

Reaction score
I have 4gal of basic cider ready to bottle. I plan on using juice concentrate and a caramelized white/brown sugar mix for priming/back sweetening. I want to add sour apple pucker to a batch of 12 bottles as an experiment in the hopes of making the cider taste like those caramel apple lollipops. How much should I add to each bottle? Is a standard "shot" a good amount?

Randy Mosher gives some formulas for this sort of thing in Radical Brewing (page 155). You would have to account for both the sugar and the alcohol in the pucker. Just adjust your priming sugar accordingly when you calculate how much sugar you're adding with the pucker.

I will have to search around for a good price, the website certainly made the book intriguing! Any free calculators on the web?

I have found that 1.5 teaspoons of Malic Acid per gallon of cider gives a nice sour apple flavor.

Mike, thanks for the idea. I am going for a theme on this one (putting it in green bottles), so I'd like to stay with the sour apple pucker liquor as the flavoring. I guess the low response rate is due to lack of experience on this?

I made my first cider using juice form Granny Smiths and there is a nice sour finish to it. I know this doesn't help you out right now but if you want to make another sour cider I'd start there.

Well, I jumped in and took the risk! Ended up using one shot per bottle. We'll see how they shape up in a month our so.

Swift, thanks! I saved the calculation from that thread for future use.

Back