Beerswap 2007- Glibbidys Mind lubricants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glibbidy

Reaction score
I sent out three samples. the neer profiles are attached to each beer.

S- Simply Stout
APA- Amarillo Pale Ale
IIPA- Imperial India Pale Ale

None of these came from my draft system. They were all bottle conditioned exclusively for this project. One of these beers is very special, see if you are able to pick out which beer it is, and which quality makes it so special.:mug:

Got the beers in on Friday, I have really started to like IPA's lately so decided I would try that one first.

Appearance- Nice psseft on uncapping. Seems to be pretty cloudy but probably from the shipping. Great head, nice and thick. Stayed around until the last drop. The color was very nice. Great looking beer. Edit.. Let it warm up a bit, started clearing up.

Aroma- Yep definitely an IPA, tons of hop aroma, smells great.

Taste-- I just recently started drinking IPA's and have not had too many to compare this one too. I have had some I liked and some I have not been able to get through. First taste, very nice, great hop flavor with just enough bitterness, not over the top. Just great hop taste.

Mouthfeel-- Not a lawnmower beer, very thick heavy beer. Carbonation seemed perfect.

Overall--- I like it a lot, like I said I have had mixed opinions with IPA's, and this is one I liked a lot. Great hop taste and aroma without a harsh bitterness. Thanks for the great beer, can't wait to try the others. :mug: I think I might have to brew this up some time.
IPA.jpg

Now on to the simply stout.

Appearance- Very dark with a nice creamy head, looks great.

Aroma -- You can really smells the malts coming through nicely, great aroma coming off this stout.

Taste----- First impression is I have never had a stout like this before, very different taste than im used to in a stout. The one thing I noticed right of the bat was the chocolate malt it comes through nicely and balance seems great. It does seem a little on the sweet side to me.

Overall---- I really liked this one also, your beers have made me realize I have lots to learn still. It did seem like it need maybe a little more hops, im not really sure, but made for a great after dinner beer and I would love to drink more of this brew. Once again well done.

Amarillo Pale Ale

Appearance---Nice psset on opening, poured with a nice head, dissipated fairly quickly, left a nice lacing. Very nice color has almost a ruby red tint when held up to the light, also seems to have some chill haze.

Aroma--- I didn't really smell anything that stuck out, but I have bad allergies so that might be the reason.

Taste---This is definitely one of my favorite styles of beer, and this one taste great. Has a great hop flavor. Has a great balance. I like the mouth feel on this one seems perfect.

Overall--- A very enjoyable beer, very crisp, it would make a great beer on a hot summer day, I could go for a few more.

Thanks for the chance to try your beers, I like all of them. Very enjoyable brews.

As for the beer that has something special in it, I have to guess its the stout, just not sure what it is.

Here's the Simply Stout

Appearance: A chocolate volcano out of the bottle! It had been sitting in the fridge for several days, but still went crazy. Now, after finally getting it into a glass... Black with a light brown rocky head, initially about 2 inches, but now maintaining a nice quarter inch.

Aroma: Some roast and some dark chocolate and a slighttly floral aroma mixed in.

Taste: Burnt chocolate flavors from the malt and a little sweetness, but there is an acidic flavor in there, almost like lemon. It has a very sharp flavor up front that then fades into the roast and chocolate. Just a little bitterness on the back end.

Overall: I'm wondering if this bottle may be infected. I'm looking at your recipe that you provided and everything looks fine. The grain bill, the hops, gravity, yeast. I can taste the stout in the back end, but the acid flavor is a bit overpowering. Either that or shipping just may have not been kind getting it all the way to me. Looking at the other posts, this seems to be isolated at just my bottle. :(

Imperial IPA

Appearance: Deep Gold to amber color with a creamy off-white head, settling to about a half inch

Aroma: Floral hops and a hint of spicyness

Taste: Lots of hop flavor and bitterness giving way to a little malty sweetness, but not tooo much. Mouthfeel is full, but not overly thick. A good balance for an IPA. I am detecting a little stale cardboardy flavor in the aftertaste. After the previous beer I'm more inclined to think that it was the shipping that did the previous one in and is giving this one a hint of cardboard. I get some of the same off flavors after some of mine have sat in my hot garage for a while. I think the gravity on this one saved it more than the stout.

Overall: I wish I could be in your neck of the woods enjoying this beer. And the stout as well. I can tell from both of the beers that I have had so far that they were at some point fantastic beers. I just wish I could have tasted them before shiping. :(

Pale Ale

Appearance: Amber-Orange with an of white head

Aroma: Hop aroma dominates, combination of citrus and floral. I can smell the Amarillo.

Flavor: Hop flavor comes through nicely first, followed by the bitterness on the back end. There is only a little sweetness, this beer is fairly dry, but very drinkable. The bitterness and hop flavor is balanced and not harsh. It just needs a little more malt profile.

Overall: I can see by the sheet you provided that you missed your target gravity by a bit, making this a lower gravity beer. I bet if you had made the target gravity, the swewetness and body would have been there that this beer is lacking just a little. I also noticed that this one didn't have the off flavors of the others. Shipping must have been kinder to this one some how. Overall a nice beer that has the potential to be great. My favorite.

I'm going to wait until everyone has had a chance to sample the beers before I reveal my thoughts and conclusion on the beer that has some special attributes.

Glibbidy said:
I'm going to wait until everyone has had a chance to sample the beers before I reveal my thoughts and conclusion on the beer that has some special attributes.

Do you have any left to share next month? ;)

Sorry I'm a bit late with my reviews. Took me a while to get around to tasting all of them. I don't think I figured out what the special beer was unless it had to do with the hopping of the IPA.

Simply Stout
Disclaimer: I haven't been a fan of dark beers in the past, but I'm learning. It poured jet black with a caramel colored thick rocky head. I could see the viscousness of the beer as I poured it. I could taste a pronounced, but still balanced smoke flavor. There was a slight sweetness which went well with the bold flavor. Not much aroma. On each sip I tasted a citrusy twang on the rim of the glass like it had been rubbed with a lime. I have no idea where that came from. There was a lot of sediment settling in the glass by the time I finished. Overall a good beer which will encourage me to try more stouts in the future.

Ammerillo Ale Pale Ale
Light color with a clean whispy head. Strong hops flavor with a mild aroma. Strong bitterness which seems to border on an IPA. Good carbonation. A refreshing beverage on a hot summer day.

Imperial IPA
Holy hops! This is a hoppy beer. It poured in a thick orange color with a thick head. The taste was bold. Hops dominated the aroma, taste and bitterness. Definitely an uber-IPA.

Now that everyone has provided feedback on these beers, I am finally able to reveal the attributes of the special beer.
Ryanh1801 said:
Now on to the simply stout.
Taste----- First impression is I have never had a stout like this before, very different taste than im used to in a stout. t does seem a little on the sweet side to me.
Brewsmith said:
Here's the Simply Stout
Taste: Burnt chocolate flavors from the malt and a little sweetness, but there is an acidic flavor in there, almost like lemon. It has a very sharp flavor up front that then fades into the roast and chocolate. Just a little bitterness on the back end.

Overall: I'm wondering if this bottle may be infected. I'm looking at your recipe that you provided and everything looks fine. The grain bill, the hops, gravity, yeast. I can taste the stout in the back end, but the acid flavor is a bit overpowering. Either that or shipping just may have not been kind getting it all the way to me. Looking at the other posts, this seems to be isolated at just my bottle. :(
cj8scrambler said:
Simply Stout
each sip I tasted a citrusy twang on the rim of the glass like it had been rubbed with a lime.

I brewed ten gallons of this stout. Five 5 went into a keg, and turned out fine. The other 5 gallons got bottled. Somewhere along the line it picked up a bacterial infection. My guess is between the secondary and bottling. I tasted a bottle of this shortly after I shipped these out an immediately realized that this beer was bad IMHO. Kudos to you guys for choking it down, and finding it drinkable. To me this beer tasted of green apples which is usually a sign of young beer or an infection. What you tasted was Acetaldehyde.

While you all were able to taste something different about this beer, shouts out to Brewsmith being the closest on identifying it! :mug:
Now you all know what Acetaldehyde tastes like in a beer.:eek:

Look for more beer from me in the mail to make up for this bad batch.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

So is it bad that I liked it.:drunk: Im not sure how you guys pulled out that flavor, I could taste something different just could not put my finger on it, guess im still new to all this.

If you liked it, that is fine. You tasted something different, you didn't know what it was...this is a start. It's great that you could really identify something about this beer that was different. Pinning a description to the taste is another thing. Time, and exposure will help you on your way.

Back