Strong Bitter Fuller's ESB Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerLogic

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1968
Yeast Starter
none
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Light Copper
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 @ 68
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
This is really close to the bottled version.
I just finished a keg of my Fuller's clone that is really close to the bottled version. Since it comes up every once in a while, I thought I would share the recipe.

Fuller's ESB Clone

5 gallon batch, 60 minute boil

Fermentables:

9 lbs. Maris Otter (I use Warminster's or Crisp's)
1 lbs. Flaked Maize
1 lbs. 55L Crystal Malt (I use Simpson's medium)

Hops:

1 oz. EKG (5.5% AA) @ 60 mins.
1 oz. EKG (5.5% AA) @ 15 mins.
2 oz. EKG (5.5% AA) @ 5 mins.

Yeast:

Wyeast 1968 London ESB

Notes:

Single infusion @ 152 for 60 mins. It could probably use a protein rest with the maize; it took a long time to clear. I was originally shooting for 5.5% abv, but the 1968 attenuated a lot more than I expected and I hit about 6%. I know that the real thing has challenger and northdown in addition to the ekgs, and I would like to experiment with them if I ever get ahold of some. Anyone know a good source?

They did. The grain bill is now strictly 95% British pale and 5% 50-60L crystal.

Having said that, if you're getting a great clone using the maize, party on!

Hi there, I'm just getting into brewing and am on my 5th batch. I was going to order the Fullers ESB kit but I think I'd like to give your recipe a try! You state that you let it stay in the secondary for 3 weeks, how long to you leave it in the bottles after that or is it just good to go after a few days of carbonation? Thank you in advance!

I kegged it. If you are carbonating in bottles I would suggest using less than the usual 5 oz. of priming sugar; Fuller's has a pretty low carbonation level. I usually only do a two week secondary for a smaller beer like this, but the Wyeast 1968 strain is kind of finicky and I wanted to make sure it was completely done fermenting before I kegged it. See the note on attenuation. You could probably get away with as little as a week in the secondary if time is an issue. I would let it carbonate in the bottles for at least two weeks.

I'm thinking of doing a partial mash version of this brew. I can mash about 6 pounds, so I'll need about 4 pounds of extract. Does anyone have a suggestion on what extract to substitute for some of the Marris Otter?

They actually use Optic malt for their base grain. It is awesome stuff. Use 4 pounds of pale extract and Optic malt if you can.

Forrest

They actually use Optic malt for their base grain. It is awesome stuff. Use 4 pounds of pale extract and Optic malt if you can.

Forrest

Funny enough, I was putting the ingredients for this beer in my cart on the AHS website just now. I can't find Optic on the website, do you guys not carry it?

Funny enough, I was putting the ingredients for this beer in my cart on the AHS website just now. I can't find Optic on the website, do you guys not carry it?

I am going to start carrying it soon. I can hook you up from my personal stash. Just put a note in the comments section letting me know how much you need and cracked or not. Wait until you taste it. Sample the grain itself when it arrives. It is awesome.

Forrest

I havent heard of Optic malt, i use MO all the time though. Are they similar?

Optic has a distinct English flavor and it is slightly nutty. Maris is great but Optic is amazing.

Sounds good. I've been on a British styles kick lately so now i'm interested. Keep us posted when you get some in stock.

anybody have anymore thoughts on the hop variety and schedule for this clone??

I messed up my hop purchase (did 2 brews that day and did 10 gallons of this one) and didn't have enough EKG. I tried something I read in a book and did a pre boil hop addition with half the 15 minute hops. So instead of being able to add in double the 15 min (2 oz) I just put in 1 oz pre boil. I believe the idea is you get the solid flavor of the hop with much less bitter.

The keg came out great. It just tasted awesome, even better then the first time I made this. This was my 22nd all grain brew and the first time I brewed it that was my 5th all grain brew, so that also may have something to do with it. In any event I'm planning on brewing this again later this spring, it was extremely popular.

I think I settled on a recipe for this.

10 lb Optic Malt
10 oz Simpsons Dark Crystal
0.5 oz Carafa III unhusked debittered malt for color

.65 oz Target (60 min)
.5 oz Challenger (5min)
.5 oz Northdown (5min)
.2 oz EK Goldings (5min)
.5 oz EK Gildings (dry hop)

Wyeast 1968 London ESB

I'm going to use first runnings only and shoot for

OG 1.059
FG 1.014
SRM 11.5
IBU 35

Mash at 150 for 60 mins
Boil for 75 mins

Pitch at 63 degrees and let rise to 67-68 and hold

Thoughts??

I have some leftover hops, including EKG and Challenger, from previous brews. Any reason I couldn't mix up the hops a bit? Also, will there be a negative impact if it ferments closer to 70 degrees?

I'm sure it will turn out great. I'm a big EKG fan. My ferm temp is greatly chosen by my basement and time of year. I've made this beer many times and found that Marris Otter is the base malt of choice for me (I like a bigger body and a little darker).

I was reading some back issues of byo and they have a clone for it in the mar 2011 issue.

11 lbs 3 oz Muntons Pale ale malt
1 lb 2 oz crystal malt (75L)
.53 oz target hops - 60 min
.34 oz challenger hops - 60 min
.1 oz northdown hops - 15 min
.33 oz goldings hops - 15 min
.33 oz goldings hops for dry hopping
Wyeast 1968 (London esb) or white labs wlp002 (English ale)

Mash at 153F in 16.5 quarts of water for 60 minutes. Boil 60 minutes then ferment at 69F, add dry hops to secondary.

Anyone who has brewed this have a report on how it turned out and how close it is to the real thing?

Back