My QUEST: a RED Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannable1975

Reaction score
OK, I have tried 2 different kits, with the same results - my "Red" ales are really more "brown" than anything.

Tastes are fine. It's the color.

I know, I know - Relax, Dude, you made good beer - be happy!

But I want to brew a Cherry Kool Aide Red brew - I dunno - maybe I'm just nuts.

SO- Any tips? Anyone have a sure fire steeping grains then extract recipe?

Or am I chasing the Holy Grail like a bunch of drunken knights?

Thanks Guys

What about using carared and some hibiscus? I was just looking around for hibiscus recipes and I think that would do it.

The below recipe produces a very nice deep red. I have hopped many different ways, so use what you like. It is a easy drinking, smooth, with a nice malt backbone.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.30 gal
Boil Size: 7.49 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 15.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 49.50 %
2 lbs Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 19.80 %
1 lbs Carared (20.0 SRM) Grain 9.90 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (8.0 SRM) Grain 9.90 %
8.8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.45 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.48 %
2.4 oz Chocolate Malt Pale (200.0 SRM) Grain 1.49 %
2.4 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 1.49 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 16.9 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (10 min)Hops 5.1 IBU
1 Pkgs Denny's 50 (Wyeast Labs #1450) [Cultured] Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.10 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 20.00 qt of water at 164.0 F 152.0 F

I just tried a little different version that should be a lighter red, but it is currently in fermentor so I cant tell you the results for a couple of weeks.

I recently brewed the Morebeer Old Ale extract kit... It turned out way redder than their Irish Red extract kit. The beer is super-clear and looks like a ruby port, it is just seriously red.

So, while I don't know how to make something with the flavour of an Irish red and the color of this old ale, I can say for sure that it is possible to make something properly red using extract and steeping grains.

I personally would go with beets. They are very bright red ,add sugar & nutrients for the yeast. Plus as long as you don't add to much they add a nice flavor.

Small amounts of roasted barley can make a beer pretty red, maybe not kool-aid red but it beats food coloring.

Light or pilsen extract and Special B (steeped) will give you a damn nice red. Special B works wonders for color along that line.

A small amount of Special B in conjunction with another steeping grain or just Special B? How much Special B can you add before it becomes a dominant flavor addition? I wouldn't think you'd want to use more than .25 lb or so in mot recipes.

The reason I ask is because I like Pale Ales and IPAs with full deep amber color (like SN Celebration) and I've been trying to figure out what darker Lovibond Crystal to add in addtion to the Crsystal 60L or whatever I'm steeping to achieve that.

Back