New Replacement for March Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received my Chugger SS pump head today. Basically the same as what was said above - it's OK, but nothing extraordinary. The casting and cleanup was not great. There are remnants of cutting oil all over it and it actually looks dirty - I thought maybe it was used, but probably just a bad clean up job. I took the insides out and I'm going to hit it with the bead blaster (exterior only) to clean it up a bit.

i finally got mine this weekend, it looks ok, not as bad as everyone else has been mentioning, a little bit of cutting oil still on the threads, but nothing excessive. I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but when i do i will post results.

I mounted the new SS head on a new March pump the other day, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'll be working on my brew stand this weekend though so hopefully I can run some flow tests with it.

The only question I have about the little giant is about the gaskets. If it's made for corrosives then what kind of gasket is being used (if any) and if it comes in contact with the fluid. If you look at the camlock disconnects from proflow, they came with rubber gaskets that caused rubber flavors at high temperatures. So again, are we looking at rubber or silicon orings/gaskets?

Viton is high temp fluoropolymer elastomer rubber. There are many different versions of the material.

It generally has a temp range up to about 400 degrees.

I would suggest contacting little giant to asks specifics about their o-ring specs.

I've been using a Little Giant pump for more than 5 years without any problems at all. The Viton O-ring won't affect your beer at all.

Anyone have an affordable source for LG pumps? The seller on Ebay is clearly sandbagging.

He's posting one at a time for sale. Nothing wrong with it but it does drive the price up.

Well I was doing some research on pumps, and stumbled across a post on another forum, which I have quoted below. Which brings me to start wondering about how safe the LG pump is to use. Any thoughts?

The March Pump is a nice pump. Magnet couple, no contamination, poly sulfone pump head but it also has it's "issues" Can't self prime, low flow, low Delta P, jams up easily when trub hops etc get in the way.

The Little Giant 3-MD-HC is an excellent high temp high corrosive pump producing maybe two or three times the flow and Delta P of the March and holds it's prime against a lot more interference than the March. And yes, you can pump boiling wort through it all day long.

The LG pump has a flaw though, but one that is easily remedied.
In the center of the pump head is a little ceramic shaft. On that shaft the factory has put a black Moly Lube. The function of the shaft is to keep the pump head rotor in the center of the magnet coupling field. Ceramic is an abrasive material. They used Ceramic because the pumps are rated for HIGH CORROSIVE.
Unless you like the idea of drinking black moly lube you gotta do something about that.
The options are:
1.) Edible Food Grade Lube. Yes it exists. There are a whole slew of "food grade" lubes out there, but you need one that is classified as edible and food grade does not mean edible. Such lubes don't last so you'll need to get a cartridge or jar of the stuff and refresh the lube each brew day. This is no sweat 'cause the LG pumps are the sweetest things on earth to open up. unscrew 4 little SST wing-nuts and you are inside the pump.
or
2.) Replace that little ceramic shaft with 1/4" teflon (or Rulon 641 if you can find it) shafting which you can get cheap on the Flea Bay and file the ends with little flats like the ceramic shaft. Easy peasy take you all of maybe 10 minutes or less.
or
3.) If you have a friend with a ceramic kiln, you might apply a nice pure white or clear ceramic glaze (glass paint) to the factory ceramic shafts ( after soaking for a very long time in 111 Trichloroethane to strip away all the lube and then dry firing them to burn off anything you didn't get out) and fire it to fuse the glaze into a nice slick coating.

Yeah, I think it's mostly B.S. I don't believe the part about the black moly lube. Also, his suggestion to replace the ceramic shaft with something else is utterly ridiculous. Item three on his list is even more ridiculous. I would have to see some documentation on this crap from a reliable source, like the manufacturer maybe, before I would believe it. The man obviously speaks with authority, but that alone has never been enough for me to swallow this kind of baloney wholesale without seeing some real documentation. I'm not impressed at all.

Yeah, I think it's mostly B.S. I don't believe the part about the black moly lube. Also, his suggestion to replace the ceramic shaft with something else is utterly ridiculous. Item three on his list is even more ridiculous. I would have to see some documentation on this crap from a reliable source, like the manufacturer maybe, before I would believe it. The man obviously speaks with authority, but that alone has never been enough for me to swallow this kind of baloney wholesale without seeing some real documentation. I'm not impressed at all.

You are right. Although I do not understand all of the technical aspects of the pump. I emailed LG directly, and asked them if any of the pumped fluid comes into contact with any type of lubricant/grease. Their answer confirms it does not:

Thank you for contacting Franklin Electric technical support.

The fluid being pumped will not come in contact with anything other than the wet end of the pump. It is completely sealed from the motor and shaft.

Again, thank you for your interest in Franklin Electric products. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact our technical support

I'm getting set to make a first time pump purchase as well and I'm on the fence between LG and March. The whole thing that's brought this up is that I'm gradually expanding my equipment and to start, this pump will be integral in the operation of my whirlpool IC. Eventually, though, it'll become part of my brewstand (not yet built).

I suppose going just a little cheaper right now (March) from somewhere like Midwest Supplies might make sense, but if $25ish more will lead to quiet longevity, I'm all for making that investment now instead of dealing with the headache later.

Additionally, as I'm trying to avoid as much noobism as I can, I'm at a loss for the right vinyl high temp tubing to use for recirculation. Any suggestions? Thanks

Thanks, samc. I was browsing and I didn't even notice I had forgotten to include "or silicone" in my request.

I too have been looking for the 3 MD HC pump (not the 3 MD MT HC which is half the HP). What do you mean by sandbagging? Cheapest I can find is $206 from plumbers surplus.

Man, I grabbed a TE-5.5-MD-HC here on the classified page just a month ago for $280 shipped. Seems like a huge steal in retrospect. Just need to step down the 1" inlet and 3/4" outlet.

FYI this was our first run at this pump ...trying to make it more affordable for brewers..we are looking at improving SS quality,, plug on the pump and a switch along with new color instead of green ..thaks

Looking forward to the changes. How soon can we expect them?

I may be a minority in this but I kinda like the green.

Which pumps are you specifically referring to? It almost sounds like you are saying this about your own pumps, but I don't think that is right.

Yeah. Just some poster using chuggerpumps to NOT use.... I'd have to think he would be speaking of his own product..... :D

Its true ...we have made the pump 1st prototype...trying to make it affordable as possible for all home brewers in Stainless Steel as it should be ...after all you are consuming what you brew!!! we plan on further modifications for the 2011 year

Apply a 1/12 minimum to 1/8 HP Mag drive motor with your stainless pump having a large inlet at 90 degree angles between the inlet and outlet for easy "burping" to clear the air pockets. Add to this an impeller design that will reprime itself better when small air pockets enter the pump vs instant loss of prime like "BRAND "X" "pumps.
Within a resonable price we can afford you'll have a winner. Applying these ideas with a successful pump you'll have a problem keeping up with demand.

FWIW, I've run my Chugger pump head a LOT now. My mashtun has all but been confiscated for use as the household sous vide! I ran a lamb roast in it for 24 hours straight, from Sunday night to Monday night just this week as a matter of fact.

The 'wide open throttle' issue seems to have resolved as well, whatever was causing that.

Interested to see how this turns out. I'm leaning to LG pumps. The heads on the chugger pumps just look too cheap for me to believe the pump won't crap out in a year.

Little Giant only makes Polypro Plastic pumps I strongly reccomend NOT using Poloypro...plasticizers tend to leech out over time especially with high temps. Email me your address I wil send you a Chugger SS pump free to evaluate would appreciate the feedback as we a re continuing to improve this product. [email protected]

thanks

Have you considered making your pump with 3/4 inlets and outlets? I think you could find a market for them. When i was looking for pumps I had a tough time finding something that would work. I ended up going with a dayton centrifugal pump with stainless head. I could not find a reasonable product with a magnetic head.

Little Giant only makes Polypro Plastic pumps I strongly reccomend NOT using Poloypro...plasticizers tend to leech out over time especially with high temps. Email me your address I wil send you a Chugger SS pump free to evaluate would appreciate the feedback as we a re continuing to improve this product. [email protected]

thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly(p-phenylene_sulfide)

That's not what the above says about the Ryton pump heads LG uses.

ie "Maximum service temperature is 218 °C (424 °F). PPS has not been found to dissolve in any solvent at temperatures below about 200 °C (392 °F)."

I've been using an LG pump with a Ryton pump head for about five years with no problems whatsoever.

Ryton is Known for its chemical compatiblity ...defineitely not food grade and WILL leech plasticizers slowly over time ...look on the FDA site it is not approved for food use Notice the words Sulfides and synthetic fibers ????..I have been doing this a long time and know that the Ryton will work ..but it is not a good choice. Wikipedia is by NO means a reliable resource on descriptions ..I have been working with Ryton pumps in the chemical industry for over a decade. One of the reasons I got involved in brewing was when I saw a friend using a mechanically sealed plastic pump from Grainger ...

Back