Jumping CO2 from one can to another

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 30lb CO2 tank that is...good because it will last forever...bad because it weighs a ton.

I'm thinking of getting a small, more portable version (ie 5lb) for "travel" purposes.

Can you "transfer" CO2 from one tank to another and what kind of "jumper" connection would you need?

Thanks.

You can do this but the 5lb will never fill to the pressure/volume you'd get on a fresh fill. As you continue to equalize the tanks (which is effectlively what you're doing when you try "filling" the smaller tank), the pressure/volume will decrease each time. If all you're trying to do is take the 5lb for a day of dispensing, this will be fine. I don't know if commercial jumper hoses are available but you'd probably want a way to purge the pressure in the hose after you close the valves on both tanks. By the way, don't try this with hose barb fittings, etc because we're talking 800 psi.

Your best bet is to use paint ball bottles. The adapters for filling from larger tanks and for beverage regulators are available and not too expensive. If you search on paint ball, you'll find everything you need.

I just charge a second cornie and use a jumper or transfer half a keg and pressurize. Both work fine for day trips or club meetings.

Bobby_M said:
You can do this but the 5lb will never fill to the pressure/volume you'd get on a fresh fill. As you continue to equalize the tanks (which is effectlively what you're doing when you try "filling" the smaller tank), the pressure/volume will decrease each time. If all you're trying to do is take the 5lb for a day of dispensing, this will be fine. I don't know if commercial jumper hoses are available but you'd probably want a way to purge the pressure in the hose after you close the valves on both tanks. By the way, don't try this with hose barb fittings, etc because we're talking 800 psi.

Yep - my step dad does this at work all the time. They don't want to lug around large tanks, so they equalize small tanks. It's not optimal, but it works.

Back