Black IPA (IBA) Recipe Please critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewbis

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a Black IPA, so if you could please give feedback, I'd be appreciative. It's going to be all grain (76% efficiency) and all fresh '09 leaf hops used. I'm going for a nice malty back to a pretty bitter/hoppy bite. I chose Columbus and Simcoe for the earthy/pine tone and Centennial towards the end to balance out some citrus flavor to the spicy/pine tone.

11.5 lbs Maris Otter..........80.70%
1 lb Crystal 80............7.02%
.75 lb Aromatic Malt.......5.26%
.5 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine...3.51%
.5 lb Carafa III.............3.51%

1 oz Columbus @ 60 min
1 oz Columbus @ 30 min
1 oz Cetennial @ 15 min
1.5 oz Simcoe @ 7 min
.75 oz Columbus Dry Hopped 14 days in secondary
.75 oz Centennial Dry Hopped 14 days in secondary

Wyeast 1056 American Ale from starter

OG = 1.067
FG = 1.016
SRM = 26.5
IBU = 84
ABV = 6.7%

Looks good, Carafa III seems to work better for this style than anything else. You might consider backing off a bit on the Aromatic Malt, it's powerful stuff.

If you will be using fresh hops for the dry hopping, don't leave them in the beer for more than 3-4 days.

You're right about the Aromatic Malt. This is an altered version of an Imperial IPA I made a few months back that was amazing, and I only used .25# with that recipe. Here is the revised version...

12 lbs Maris Otter..........84.21%
1 lb Crystal 80............7.02%
.5 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine...3.51%
.5 lb Carafa III.............3.51%
.25 lb Aromatic Malt.......1.75%

1 oz Columbus @ 60 min
1 oz Columbus @ 30 min
1 oz Cetennial @ 15 min
1.5 oz Simcoe @ 7 min
.75 oz Columbus Dry Hopped 14 days in secondary
.75 oz Centennial Dry Hopped 14 days in secondary

Wyeast 1056 American Ale from starter

OG = 1.067
FG = 1.016
SRM = 26.0
IBU = 90.6
ABV = 6.7%

looks good to me man, I am almost out of my black IPA that was done with all Simco and Amarillo, and it was fantastic.

If you will be using fresh hops for the dry hopping, don't leave them in the beer for more than 3-4 days.

I'm interested in your theory here - so why do you suppose Vinnie at Russian River uses fresh undried Chinook and Cascade hops in his HopTime Harvest Ale for 7-14 days.

I also heard you tell another brewer the other day not to use fresh hops at all as a dry hop. Are you basing this on a bad experience or something else you have heard?

Back