Just Curious

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snafu

Reaction score
For those AG'ers out there, what is your loss due to boil off? I boil on a propane burner (15.5 gal keggle) and loose about 1.5 gals/hr. This about normal?

Sounds about right. I usually go into the boil with ~7gallons and get down to 5.5 gal after 60 min. It also depends on the width to height ratio of the pot (surface area) and the vigor of the boil.

Seems about right to me. My yield to the fermentor is around 12 gal. from a 15 gal. boiler, and I estimate that about half of that delta is from boil off. Of course, your actual loss will depend on the setting of your flame, configuration of the kettle, and (I suppose) the relative humidity.

I brew in my "man cave" a 20 x 12 shed, i've noticed that when i have my fans blowing to cool the shed down, I loose even more, like 1.75 gal/hr I think it somehow pulls more of the vapors off creating more loss,

With everything accounted for (loss to hops, chiller, boil off, etc) I'm starting with between 8 - 8.5 gallons to hopefully get to 5.5 into the carboy.

Snafu, I'm about the same.

Kilted, I've never understood loss to chiller. What's the deal w/ that? I can't think of the reason why we would loose volume to the chiller. thanks.

I'm using a CFC...I'm not loosing a whole lot in there, but there is always some left and it isn't my weakest link by anymeans. Pump isn't going to be able to push out all out once the kettle is empty.

I start with 8.0 gals pre boil and end up with around 6 after an hour, usually lose about half gal in pot on transfer. I also usually boil for at least 75 min. As I run off directly into my first runnings that are already on the burner. Boil is usually started by the time the sparge running are is over. Then it is off to hop!

With everything accounted for (loss to hops, chiller, boil off, etc) I'm starting with between 8 - 8.5 gallons to hopefully get to 5.5 into the carboy.

Mine is about the same. I have a large diameter pot and with a vigarous boil, I lose about three gallons per hour.

FWIW, besides boiloff loss, I assume a loss of 12 oz. of wort for every oz. of whole hops in the kettle. It's seemed pretty accurate. So, I decide on my initial boil volume based on that. The beer I did last weekend had 8 oz. of hops in the kettle, so I started with an extra 96 oz. of wort to account for it.

Back