Pipe taps....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I managed a bonehead mistake and misthreaded a brass fitting. I got myself a pipe tap to attempt to clean up the thread but, I have never used one before.

I managed to misalign my heating element and crossed the 3rd thread (of 12)in the female side of the connection. The threads on the element are fine.

Are these things (pipe taps) as simple to use as they appear to be or is there a hidden disaster awaiting me that will totally destroy my fitting should I not start the tap correctly?

Is a cutting oil imperative or can wd-40 work as a sub?

Cutting oil is a rather big deal when cutting threads. WD-40 would not be a substitute... maybe vegi oil???

The only important thing is to keep the tap straight and lubed.

Your only cleaning up the threads, not making new ones. Almost any lube would work. The veg oil, motor oil, though it isn't food safe, or any other slightly thick oil should do.

Just turn in slowly and back out a few times, going in further and further.......

Linc

Your only cleaning up the threads, not making new ones. Almost any lube would work. The veg oil, motor oil, though it isn't food safe, or any other slightly thick oil should do.

Thanks. I do plan to thorughly clean with hot PBW after cutting. I will prolly go with the Veg oil in lieu of the WD.

Just turn in slowly and back out a few times, going in further and further.......
Linc

Tee Hee. Sounds like my wife.

also, a tip when using pipe taps, is to back them off a 1/4 of a turn every once in a while. It helps clear the cuttings from the tap and makes tapping easier.

B

If you do not carefully align the tap when re-chasing threads you can be at a slight angle (cross-threaded) and ruin the existing thread. It is not repairable without replacing the material the existing thread was in.

Back