Guess who got 85% mash efficiency with BIAB??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilson42203

Reaction score
That's right, folks. Today I brewed a cream ale and built the recipe based on 70% efficiency. When I got done, my OG was 1.066. When I recalculated based on that, it came out to 85%!!

Guess this one won't be a lawnmower beer. I mashed low and long (90 min at 150), so I'm guessing I will finish lower than what my program is estimating (1.017).

This is gonna be closer to a pre-prohibition cream ale.

My LHBS just got a new, fancy grain mill. Its only downside is it only has one crush setting, so I double-crushed. After it had gone through the 2nd time, it was pretty fine. I may not do that next time.

I got my strike water to 154. I do full volume mash and boil, so my 8.5 lbs of grain brought the mash temp to 150. I was surprised that it held there for the entire 90 min mash (the warm day probably helped).

When the mash was finished, I squeezed the bag as much as I could (like usual) and then boiled for 60 min.

I boiled 5 gal down to just under 4 gal. My last cream ale was my first, and it was one of my best brews yet. Hopefully this will rival that one.

Here's the recipe. I used White Labs Cream Ale Yeast (WLP080 I think), no starter, 1 tsp of yeast nutrient.

1402110481689.jpg

I biab IMO it has better efficiency for sure. 85-91 every time. Although crush may have more to do with it. Biab allows for super crushed grain.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

85% is quite impressive. Likely due to the fine crush and squeezing the bag to claim all that wort goodness. My BIAB efficiency is high 70s at best. But then, I never double crush. I might have to try that and see where my efficiency goes.

I was going to brew a cream of three crops this coming up week, but since I'm in OC too, I'll just share your cream ale. :cross:

What LHBS do you go to? Even though Bridge view is within walking distance, and Larry the owner is practically my neighbor and his Kids were babysat by my GF's grandma, I don't go in there often. But I saw the remodel/renovation going on over on his building on Main street. I hear he's starting a pub?

Is that the brew shop you go to. If yes, has things changed?

I also heard he is starting a brewpub, but will be keeping the store next door. I only go down there if I need something fast. Larry is a nice guy and has helped me out on more than one occasion, but his yeast is always well past the expiration date and I get the feeling that much of his stuff sits for a very long time.

I have built a relationship with the folks at Above the Rest Homebrew (the eastside store on Foster). They are fantastic to deal with and have good prices. They really helped me when I made the switch to BIAB, and they have a wide selection of specialty grains. If you need yeast special ordered, they will have it the following Thursday.

I also heard he is starting a brewpub, but will be keeping the store next door. I only go down there if I need something fast. Larry is a nice guy and has helped me out on more than one occasion, but his yeast is always well past the expiration date and I get the feeling that much of his stuff sits for a very long time.

I have built a relationship with the folks at Above the Rest Homebrew (the eastside store on Foster). They are fantastic to deal with and have good prices. They really helped me when I made the switch to BIAB, and they have a wide selection of specialty grains. If you need yeast special ordered, they will have it the following Thursday.

Yup... His homebrew section is all dated/expired... He also repackages a lot of stuff from bulk. It concerns me if it was done in a sterile manner... That's why i skip out. His hours are all wacky too. I wish it was better since I can walk there. The building really does look amazing now though.

I go to above the rest too. Been going to the Tigard one before they opened the foster location. Now I go mainly to the foster location. They know me by name...
Sharon is a character for sure. I'll be heading that way later in the week for some ingredients. I think I'm going to brew a few batches over the next two weeks since I have some down time.

You will love the new mill. Very professional looking, and it gave me the best efficiency to date.

Enjoy!!

Back