False Bottom Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonPritchard

Reaction score
Hey folks.
I just put together a new tun and am currently in the process of christening it. I went to run off the mash and the grain must've gotten underneath the false bottom when I stirred it in. I had to pour my mash (grain and all) into a pillow case and sparge the same way. I threw my back out and I'm a sticky mess. What was supposed to be a nice relaxing brew day has turned into a major headache. Anyone ever have similar issues with a false bottom in a tun? If so, any advice? I'd hate to have to spend more money if I don't need to, but I never had issues when using a bazooka filter. HELP! Thanks.

OK, let me probe for a little more information.

What exactly happened when you started collecting the runnings? (The assumption here is that you mashed for 60 min and then started collecting)

You were getting some grain coming along with the wort at first?
How much grain are we talking about? A little bit or a lot mixed with the runnings?

Were you vorlaufing the first quart or two of runnings?

Yes, more info please. As much and as specific as you can be too. I can't think of an instance in which a pillow case would be needed.... maybe you didn't recirculate or maybe you needed to recirculate again... or maybe you got a stuck sparge which you could have cleared up. It's possible that you needed to open the valve a bit less with the false bottom than you did when you used a screen and hence you are getting stuck sparge?

When I went to run off I got about an ounce of wort with a little grain and nothing I did could get it unclogged. I might need to find a way to keep the false bottom from moving around. Perhaps I stirred to vigorously when adding the grain. Trail and error.

DonPritchard said:
When I went to run off I got about an ounce of wort with a little grain and nothing I did could get it unclogged. I might need to find a way to keep the false bottom from moving around. Perhaps I stirred to vigorously when adding the grain. Trail and error.

OK, you had a stuck sparge.
Very common in fact I had trouble the first time I used my false bottom.
The trick is when first starting runoff, GO SLOW!
Get the flow trickling and increase gradually until you get good flow and then vorlauf the first half gallon or so right back into the tun. I run close to a gallon back into the tun before the first drop makes it into the kettle.
Same goes for after my batch sparges and stirs.

Once you figure out how to make it happen on YOUR system, it becomes second nature and just part of the process.

Where you using any wheat?

I throw quite a bit of rice hulls in my mash, they are cheap protection and they work very well.

estricklin said:
Where you using any wheat?

I throw quite a bit of rice hulls in my mash, they are cheap protection and they work very well.

+1 to this.
Wheat can be tricky sometimes.

No wheat. I'll be giving it another go in a few days. I'll have to grab some rice hulls and see if that helps out.

See attached images!

image-3806577907.jpg

image-4081685017.jpg

Looks like a good setup, I'm a big advocate of store bought stainless false bottoms and a water cooler for a mash tun.

Did you mill this grain yourself?

What did your grain bill look like?

There is no dip tube that I'm aware of. The false bottom is free to move around. Also, one side looks slightly flared. The grain bill was 12lb 2row, 1lb crystal 40, 1lb carapils milled at home.

Looks like the diameter of your false bottom could be bigger, i.e., flush w/ the sides of your tun bottom.
I used a FB for a out 1 1/2 years w/ a cooler based tun and got tired of dealing w/ stuck sparges. I've changed over to a copper manifold and not had any issues.

DonPritchard said:
There is no dip tube that I'm aware of. The false bottom is free to move around. Also, one side looks slightly flared. The grain bill was 12lb 2row, 1lb crystal 40, 1lb carapils milled at home.

I think passedpawn was referring to where your plumbing attaches to the center of the false bottom. Make sure there's enough clearance between the bottom of that connection (under the false bottom) and the bottom of your mash tun.

You probably stirred too vigorously. This happened to me once on a Big Brew Day. One of my guests stirred a bit too hard and lifted the FB. It wasn't too bad and cleared itself after a couple minutes of recirculation. Your FB does look a bit on the small side, but I don't think that's the issue. I'd say double check the connection as passedpawn said, and try being stirring more gently and see how that works.

I'll be brewing this weekend so I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. It'd be great to have a weight on top of the FB to keep it stationary.

After taking a rubber mallet to my false bottom I mashed my grains with no issue. Nice. Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back