Things I learned going from Home to Nanobrewer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everybody. Great to see this thread is still alive and kicking. I've got a friend in the neighborhood that has just taken up home brewing and I'm having fun getting back to roots by helping him out with 5 gal partial mash batches. He's already telling me that his system is too small, "do I need a pump?" etc. Yes and yes. Good times and always makes me want to brew.

Cheers!

Quick questions for you. Did the TTB or local authority make you get six inch concrete slabs below your nano sized fermenters? What size floor drains did they make you put in? Thanks for the kick butt thread.

Uh - no. The TTB doesn't do anything like that. They want your paperwork in order so that you pay taxes. That's about it. There's a section for disclosure of waste water that needs to be filled in, but the TTB doesn't really inspect anything other than forms.

Kevin,
I have been following your progress for the last few years since you were/are one of the original nanobreweries. What does the future hold for Healdsburg? Any plans to expand or are you pretty happy with where you are at? Cheers!!

Hey there. Cheers! Yup, I've got some plans for the brewery, but for the moment they're on the back burner because I'm busy with my other business. In the meantime, I'm focusing the brewery pn just making exceptional beer. Definitely have plans, though...

integra93ls said:
Also what r u using as far as: heat source, cooling

I'm interested too about the heating. I'm in the process of starting up and I am just curious as to what you're using. I'm doing the 3 barrel set up from stout tanks and needed a heating source. Thanks for sharing too, this has been an inspiration for me.

I believe he uses LP for heat...thought he made mention of having to refill tanks.

Hey everyone. For heat I'd been using propane, but recently had an adjustable tankless water heater installed (which I hacked to put out heat up to 180 deg if I want) so my propane use is way way down. In terms of costs per bbl for materials and propane and whatnot is about $85 per bbl. I, and most folks, sell a 5g keg for an average of $65, which brings gross revenue to $390 per bbl. Gross profit is $305 and gross margin for this example is 78%, and is generally around 70% - 80% depending on the brew.

Awesome! Just read this whole thread. Sounds like you have the perfect situation for a nano regarding location, zoning, kegging, etc. That sounds like a pretty solid profit margin, I'm surprised you can charge $65 for a 5 gallon keg when I have read many bars won't deal with you if you sell 1/2 bbl kegs for over $125. Distributors makes it even worse, I guess. But cheers to you and what a success story!

sorry, didn't read the entire thread, but do you sell any bottles anywhere? I know Big John's carries a lot of local brews, but last time I was there I hadn't heard of your operation so didn't look for it...

Subscribed. Congratulations on your successes! I turned my hobby of detailing cars into a business 5 years ago and am considering selling it and starting a nano. We already brew 30 gallons, just need to get a place and fermentors really. Thanks for the inspiration!

Nope - not bottling. Draft only. Watch for it at Healdsburg Bar & Grill, Bergamot Alley, Sprenger's, Heritage Public House, Beer Revolution and a few other venues...

Well done man!! Wasn't thinking about Nano-brewing but you do make it look interesting.
Maryland has just passed laws where a farm can be treated like a winery if they grow part of the components of the beer on site. It is called the Maryland On Farm Brewery Law. Here's a link
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20..._craft-beer-industry-pale-ale-beer-production

It will be interesting to see if they produce good beers. Growing hops is way different from brewing good beer. It is learning the brewing trade in reverse. At least it gives another venue for Nano-brewers to sell their wares. Perhaps it is time to buy a small farm in Maryland and start brewing. I wondered if they would consider my fridge a yeast farm:)

Maryland has just passed laws where a farm can be treated like a winery if they grow part of the components of the beer on site. <snip>
Perhaps it is time to buy a small farm in Maryland and start brewing. I wondered if they would consider my fridge a yeast farm:)

It's something I'm contemplating for a few years down the line... I got the farm this summer, and I've got some barley planted (very small test plots). I'll get my hops in the ground come spring. I'm deciding whether to put in another well for my brewing, or rely on rainwater catchment (leaning towards the latter). And I've thought about trying to "capture" a yeast strain locally.

I figure that even if I don't eventually go pro, it'll be interesting to brew something from completely "home-grown" ingredients... :drunk:

Cheers!

--Misha

Gordie,

Going to repeat what most people have said on the thread, very inspiring as someone who wants to do something like this at some point. Also, I go up to Windsor a couple times a month for work. Do you have an updated list of places where I can get your beer? I know it's been a few years.

Back