Electric brewing setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

questionasker

Reaction score
Hey all

I've been considering converting my system from stovetop to electric. I have a 50L stainless pot which is used as a HLT and a boil kettle. This will be wrapped in some form of insulation such as foam or hot water cylinder wrap.

Before I go any further, I will mention that my power supply is 240V (not exact) 10A. This means that only 2400W can be drawn, right? This seems confusing, as I seem to remember my kitchen jug pulling somewhere around 3000W... Does this mean I can use a 3000W element?

My current plans are to purchase an element, a box of some sort to house the components, an IEC socket, and an IEC cord. This seems a fairly common setup among brewers. And yes, before anyone asks, it will all be grounded suitably.

I may implement a method of controlling temperature at some stage. I see there are relatively cheap PIDs on ebay, but they do not have an SSR. I found a tutorial showing how to remove the mechanical relay and replace it with the SSR , and that seems simple enough. Can anyone explain the setup of this in more detail?

The elements I am looking at buying at the moment are this or this. I can't find any ULWD elements, so unless someone wants to send one to me, that is not likely to happen. Lastly, will a 3000W element be able to boil 5-6 gallons of water in an insulated pot without too much trouble?

Thanks.

I am in New Zealand. I have recently learnt that I will most likely have a 20A circuit in my house, so I'll check that out once I get home.

Edit: Main circuits will be 20A, lighting or other circuits with less demand will be 10A.

Back