Use for 6-row malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neuron555

Reaction score
I am making an oatmeal stout this weekend, and the recipe calls for 4 pounds of 6-row. When my order arrived, I got a six pound bag. Probably hit the wrong number, but I have 2 more pounds than I planned.

According to what I read, 6-row is fine if you have alot of adjuncts (like oats), but for other purposes, 2-row seems preferred. What are some of the other uses for 6-row, or should I just through the whole mess in there?

People like to use some 6 row when using something that needs more filter material to prevent a stuck sparge such as when using a lot of wheat.

Just use it in a batch or freeze it and save it for a batch with a lot of adjuncts. There are some other differences, but 2 pounds in a batch won't hurt anything.

If I understand correctly, two-row malts today are more highly modified than in previous years, so the difference in enzymes between 2-row and 6-row barley are not as large as they once were. Was this an older recipe you were working from?

I may have spoken too soon. The recipe calls for 6-row, so I ordered American Pale Malt from Morebeer, but in reading the fine print, it is actually an American 2-row. Shouldn't really matter in a oatmeal stout, and now I have have a couple extra pounds to do something with.

Back