Reverse recipe look up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BFitch

Reaction score
So I just bought a 5 gallon setup off of Craigslist. The guy gave me a bag of DME, grains and sugar. Think any o you guys can tell what he was trying to make and maybe round out this recipe?
2- 3lb DME muntons extra light
2- 1lb DME plain extra light
2- 16oz light candi sugar
1/2lb bag of grains. (tasted one, kind of a raisin taste.)
Anyone have any guesses?

Most of what you list could be used in 1000s of different beers. Unfortunately it's the grains that would hold most of the clue to what the target was. But even then - the choice of yeast and hops would be nearly as important to know.

My recommendation - most people who are dumping their gear are doing so because they've had it 'forever' and haven't brewed in as long a time... So the DME and grains i'd pitch in the trash. The candi might be OK, but that's about it.

But I wouldn't trust the ingredients. You just don't know how old they are, how they were kept, etc. For the cost of new stuff vs. the hassle of brewing the hole batch and having it turn out poorly, just go spent $20 on new DME and grains...

i'd keep everything except the 1/2 lb bag of grains. it's probably a combination, so no telling, and no telling how old it is. the bags of dme are good for years if not opened. if you like pale ales, extra light is good for those. keep the candi sugar for belgians

i do know where the stuff was bought, so i plan on running there today and seeing if they can tell me what kind of grains they are. there are numbers written on the bag so hopefully they mean something. as to the age of everything, the guy said they were all fairly new, so im assuming its all still good. but hopefully the LHBS can tell me if they are for sure.

If it were me, I'd brew with it just for gitz and shiggles. I'd throw some noble hops in there and rock and roll.

The candy sugar is most often used in Belgian Doubles/Triples/Quads. That's the only thing I'd leave out of the "Mystery Brew"

Went to the home brew shop. They were Carmel grains. G20 or something like that. I might take it all in next time and see what they say for hop and yeast and give it a go. Bought a Cali common while I was there that'll be my first.

Back