Time Fermenting Before Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armen_Tamzarian

Reaction score
I was wondering how long some of you let your beer ferment before going ahead and kegging, and what method of carbonating you use.

I know this may vary for what type/recipe you are brewing and also utilizing only a primary, or both primary and secondary, but if any of you want to provide some info that would be awesome! Thanks for any input!

Usually

7-10 days primary
2-3 weeks secondary
Keg and put on CO2 for 2-3 weeks before serving

I don't force carb.
I have just started kegging about 4 months ago and from what I have noticed so far it takes at least 3-4 weeks for the beer to get carbed really nice.

I stopped using secondaries a while back. 1 month in primary before I keg. Then I use the set it and forget it method to force carb. turn the CO2 on my serving pressure (12 psi) and wait about 3 weeks.

I do a 4 week primary then keg, I do the "set it and forget it" 12 psi for a week or two for carbing (though sometimes I get impatient and set it at 20-30 psi for a couple of days to speed things up a bit)

Thanks for all the input so far! About to make my first attempt at kegging. Contemplating set it and forget it or natural. My beer is approaching about a month and I've got to make my mind up soon!

if you add priming sugar to your keg to carb it natural search some threads here to see how much to add. It is less than the amount you would need to bottle the beer. Just something to think about.

I don't get why all these threads ask how long you let a beer ferment, like you can control what the yeast do?!?!?!?!

You let it ferment until it is done....it's not something you control. You let your beer ferment as long as it takes to finish. That's not something you control, a beer takes as long as it needs, it could be days or a week or more. That's not the same as leaving a beer in primary, or racking to secondary (which you should do AFTER fermentation is complete as well). But the yeast have a job to do and you need to let them do it, and they follow any calendars.

You determine when a beer is finished by taking two consequtive grav reading over a 3 day period.

How long you choose to condition the beer whether it is opting for a long primary or secondarying is one thing...But how long you let a beer ferment is a process of the yeast not you...just like bottle carbing, you can't control that either. The yeast are in charge, not us?

Too true revvy. I really need to clarify when I respond to these threads. My fermentations are usually done after a week and a half or so, maybe two at the most, but I leave my beer in the primary for a total of a month for fermentation AND aging (if that is what you want to call it).

I think in this case they were using the word ferment to include fermenting and conditioning. At least that is the way I took it. And I think that was the way that most people that responded took it. ?? Don't know, could be mistaken. Just me.

You determine when a beer is finished by taking two consequtive grav reading over a 3 day period.

If you confine the word, "fermenting," to the conversion of sugar to alcohol, you would be correct. But that is not all the yeast does. It is not incorrect to think of the whole process from pitching to flocculation as fermentation. Plenty happens after the SG stabilizes. I understand what you are trying to say; but a lot of people come here having read Palmer and are using the word different that you are.

Yea I guess I meant a little of both...didn't know if people went straight to keg or if they let it condition for a while...and if so how long for either scenario. Just curious my friend, no need to get butt hurt!

Most of the time mine is done in two weeks. Then I keg, and put it in the kegerator with 12 PSI. I then test after a week. My Belgian Wits are usually very drinkable after about 3 weeks from grain to glass. Of course as time goes on, they get better and better. They are usually at their best when the last glass is drawn from the keg :-(

If you confine the word, "fermenting," to the conversion of sugar to alcohol, you would be correct. But that is not all the yeast does. It is not incorrect to think of the whole process from pitching to flocculation as fermentation. Plenty happens after the SG stabilizes. I understand what you are trying to say; but a lot of people come here having read Palmer and are using the word different that you are.

Uh......Yeah....I think I've kinda written a few things here or there about what a yeast does after fermentation is complete, so I don't think you need to "school" me on that. ;)

But still I see a lot of new brewers thinking they are in charge of when a beer is finished fermenting or carbonating...and then they start threads about "why this or that isn't happenning." A lot of new brewers arbitrairly start moving their beers after a week, especially those who follow the idiotic 1-2-3 rule (like the yeast can read a calendar) so when I see it phrased this way I really want them to be clear on what they are asking (it's a decoding phrase, like "activity" means "airlock bubbling" that is a clue troubleshooting brewer's issues)....It seems to be a trend this week, more than any other lately to phrase it just like this.....

I don't get why all these threads ask how long you let a beer ferment, like you can control what the yeast do?!?!?!?!

You let it ferment until it is done....it's not something you control. You let your beer ferment as long as it takes to finish. That's not something you control, a beer takes as long as it needs, it could be days or a week or more. That's not the same as leaving a beer in primary, or racking to secondary (which you should do AFTER fermentation is complete as well). But the yeast have a job to do and you need to let them do it, and they follow any calendars.

How long you choose to condition the beer whether it is opting for a long primary or secondarying is one thing...But how long you let a beer ferment is a process of the yeast not you...just like bottle carbing, you can't control that either. The yeast are in charge, not us?

Isn't the "conditioning phase" considered a phase of fermentation? I think for many it is and therefore makes the question, "how long do you let a beer ferment?" seem completely legit.

Back