Chill Haze Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rave

Reaction score
Why is it that when I get chill haze in a batch it always starts to clear up towards the end of the keg? Is it because it's cleared up with time or something else?

the longer the beer spends at serving temps the more proteins (that cause haze) fall out of suspension...Ive got an ESB that is crystal clear since I've left it in the kegerator at serving temps for 3 weeks as ive drank from it...started cloudy, now its the clearest beer I've made.

I have a slightly different theory which has no scientific merit, but is based on my own experience.

My theory is that the "top" part of the beer clears the most quickly. Since you are constantly pulling beer off the bottom, you are always getting the cloudiest. Assuming the keg is unmoved for the entire time, your last pint is that top, clear, gorgeous pour.

I have come up with this theory because of kegs that sat weeks in the keg (at serving temp), and then were drank within a week, and still the last glass was noticeably more clear than the previous several. I would hypothesize that, given enough time, you would be able to get the entire keg that clear. My beer rarely lasts more than 12 weeks after brewday, though.

Both answers are solid and probably correct. I think the beer at the top of the keg (which is the last to be served) has had more time to clear since the chill haze protien has fallen out with time, and removed out of the keg during comsumption.

Back