Yeast Washing Video

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyBroas

Reaction score
Bernie Brewer inspired me a while back to start washing my own yeast. Now I've always got a bank of yeast in the fridge and save a bunch of $$ on brewing.

It seems people still have a lot of questions on the subject and since my yeast starter video helped people *see* how to do it, I decided to make one for yeast washing.

Yeast Washing Video

Thanks again Bernie. I made sure to give you a shout out in the video.

Hope you all like it, and I'll gladly answer any questions.

- Billy

good job! I have washed yeast once and boiling the jars kept me from doing it again. I think I will do some from a batch I have going right now. THANKS!

very well done! im sure this will help out a LOT of noobs.

ive saved so much money since i started washing yeast, its redicculous!

:mug:

Excellent job. Pictures are better than text, and video is even better than pictures. The sticky was getting too garbled with questions and variations, etc., and you brought it back to the basics. Good job!

Thanks everyone for the great responses. It's really cool to do the videos and see things just click for people. That's how I learn best too. And if Bernie approves then I'm a happy guy :mug:

Nice Job - it is really simple once you go through the steps, with the necc attention to details.....your video helps show this

Great job, your video makes this process crystal clear. Good timing too, I'll be doing my first yeast wash this weekend. Many thanks for doing this!

I've never met you but you are now my new favorite person for posting this video. I am now 100% confident in yeast washing. I don't know why I didn't think of just sanitizing the containers rather than boiling.

Ah hahahaha, he said crap!

Seriouslly, nice tip on the StarSan vs. boiling the jars. I dumped the gallon jar all over the counter - SWMBO was not happy. Thanks again for yet another excellent video Billy!

Soooo...did my first yeast wash tonight thanks to this video. Racked the beer of a IIPA with WL 001...

I do have a question:

After I decanted to the 1G jar and let settle, I began to dump off some of the beer and liquid layer, as I got to the yeast layer I noticed that it really just mixed with the hop and protein trub. I reserved about 1 inch of this in the 1G jar and each of my pints has about 1/2-3/4 inch of yeast after settiling, but each also has about the same amount of trub.

Is there some trick that I missed? More settling time in the 1G perhaps?

Did he decant off the beer and liquid layer? I don't recall seeing that. I'm guessing you stirred up some of the trub into the yeast layer.

I'm planning to do this after my next batch, so in 3 or 4 weeks... I hope it works out.

There is some evidence that washing weizen and Belgian yeast will numb its character over time. Those strains prefer to be top-cropped, apparently.

Thats a helpful video for sure, thanks!

I primary in a plastic bucket, so I presume same technique but take great care in pouring off to leave the trub behind. I'll try this next weekend, thanks again.

Thanks Billy, your blog is really well put together.

I was wondering if the same method could be done with yeast from a commercial bottle (assuming bottling and fermenting yeasts are the same). For example Bell's Oberon. I know the yeasts are the same and I can probably harvest some yeast from a fresh bottle.

Hope you are doing well in Denver. All the kids are coming back into Harrisonburg. Jack Brown's had out first beer tasting a few weeks ago. Cheers!

After extensive reading on washing yeast I decided not to try it. After watching this video, it seems so simple. I guess it is only as confusing as a person makes it out to be. Thank you very much for the video, I will definitley give it a go next time.

Great to see people giving yeast washing a shot now. Like many things, it sounds complicated but is really simple - once you see it done.

A few responses..

I've never met you but you are now my new favorite person for posting this video. I am now 100% confident in yeast washing. I don't know why I didn't think of just sanitizing the containers rather than boiling.

Seriouslly, nice tip on the StarSan vs. boiling the jars. I dumped the gallon jar all over the counter - SWMBO was not happy. Thanks again for yet another excellent video Billy!

I'm glad you guys brought this up because I thought I was the only one who had a hell of a time boiling the jars. Lost some skin the first time I tried to lift that pickle jar out of there.

Soooo...did my first yeast wash tonight thanks to this video. Racked the beer of a IIPA with WL 001...

I do have a question:

After I decanted to the 1G jar and let settle, I began to dump off some of the beer and liquid layer, as I got to the yeast layer I noticed that it really just mixed with the hop and protein trub. I reserved about 1 inch of this in the 1G jar and each of my pints has about 1/2-3/4 inch of yeast after settiling, but each also has about the same amount of trub.

Is there some trick that I missed? More settling time in the 1G perhaps?

Did you shake it up well? That'd be the first place I'd check. Those hop bits tend to stick to everything. Besides that, you might not have waited long enough. On the flip side you could have waited too long. Eventually everything will mush back together like it did in your carboy. You just gotta strike when the time is right - which you can tell visually. Give it another shot and see if it works better.

Did he decant off the beer and liquid layer? I don't recall seeing that. I'm guessing you stirred up some of the trub into the yeast layer.

I'm planning to do this after my next batch, so in 3 or 4 weeks... I hope it works out.

I didn't decant the beer on top. I poured it into the jars. There is so little liquid it is impossible to decant that and not lose yeast. Not a problem though. I decant the liquid when I remove the jars from the fridge. By that time the yeast is stuck to the bottom and it's much easier to pour off the beer. Good luck!

Thats a helpful video for sure, thanks!

I primary in a plastic bucket, so I presume same technique but take great care in pouring off to leave the trub behind. I'll try this next weekend, thanks again.

Yea it's the same technique, you just won't get to see the separation in fermenter. Give it 20 minutes and then carefully pour off. You'll be fine, and when pour again from the big jar you can leave behind any gunk that got in there.

Thanks Billy, your blog is really well put together.

I was wondering if the same method could be done with yeast from a commercial bottle (assuming bottling and fermenting yeasts are the same). For example Bell's Oberon. I know the yeasts are the same and I can probably harvest some yeast from a fresh bottle.

Hope you are doing well in Denver. All the kids are coming back into Harrisonburg. Jack Brown's had out first beer tasting a few weeks ago. Cheers!

That's something I haven't tried yet so I'd be interested to see how it goes for you. I don't know how much good washing would do though since there is no trub in the bottle, just yeast and beer. There's probably some threads around here with a better method for that. It's on the to-do list.

Denver is great. The Napa Valley of Beer saying is definitely true. I do miss Harrisonburg though. The area, not so much the students ; ) If my company ever calls me back to that office we'll grab a beer at Jack Brown's.

After extensive reading on washing yeast I decided not to try it. After watching this video, it seems so simple. I guess it is only as confusing as a person makes it out to be. Thank you very much for the video, I will definitley give it a go next time.

Simply awesome. That's exactly why I did this. :mug:

I know some of you tried to watch the video but the site was down the past 2 days. Sorry about that, I was working on a project for the blog. It's back up and running now. Happy yeast washing :mug:

Not sure if anyone else has experienced the following...I've only washed two yeast strains so far but each seemed to behave somewhat differently during washing.

I washed a WLP001 (Calif. Ale Yeast) and a WLP029 (Kolsch)

---What I've noticed is that the 001 (Calif. Ale) tends to settle on top of the trub layer, making the lowest layer the stuff you want to leave behind when jarring.

---The 029 (Kolsch) seems to settle at the very bottom, with the trub settling on top of the yeast.

Yeast is pretty obvious when washing--it's putty colored--so I am sure that I am not confusing the two.

Does this 'inversion layer' have something to do with the different strains and their characteristics?

It seems to me that different techniques might be needed when washing these two different yeasts to ensure that as much trub as possible gets discarded.

Or have I had too many beers?

Billy GREAT videos & links help (Mr Malty's)

Thank you very much. This thread got put into my favorites. And please let us know when you do more videos.

BTW I vote for sticky

Great vid.. thank you so much.

I think I will give it a go.. I just kegged a brew that I am not happy with.

I was concerned with the notty I got. The lag time didn't make me happy.

One side of me wants to wash that and see what happens, the other side says dump it.

Either way, thank you for your time, I appreciate it.

Reposting here because it's turning out to be harder to get an answer than I anticipated :)
2u7uewx.jpg

This is my first attempt at washing yeast. I followed the directions in the OP of the yeast washing thread, and this is a jar of WLP500 after a day or so of refrigeration. Does it look like I got too much trub/sick yeast when transferring from the fermenter to the flask then the flask to the jar, or am I being paranoid?

Hey everyone thanks for the recent compliments and I'm glad the video is helping people. I'm waiting to get an angry call from White Labs because of all the people reusing their yeast lol.

Reposting here because it's turning out to be harder to get an answer than I anticipated :)
2u7uewx.jpg

This is my first attempt at washing yeast. I followed the directions in the OP of the yeast washing thread, and this is a jar of WLP500 after a day or so of refrigeration. Does it look like I got too much trub/sick yeast when transferring from the fermenter to the flask then the flask to the jar, or am I being paranoid?

It looks like you got a little more trub there then is desirable but that's still a great big band of yeast. You could always wash it again if you're worried about it, or when you go to make a starter just try to leave the trub behind when you pour out the yeast. You'll be fine.

Besides that, you might not have waited long enough. On the flip side you could have waited too long. Eventually everything will mush back together like it did in your carboy. You just gotta strike when the time is right - which you can tell visually.

Billy, just quoting you from earlier in the thread because this feedback helped me so much. I was having a heck of a time with trub my first few attempts.

For me the timing was key, waiting maybe 20-30 mins...

The last few batches I did were 100% trub-less, just a nice layer of healthy yeast in every starter.

This saves me hundreds of dollars a year. Great post.

PS-The starters with the trub in them are just as usable, I've fermented out all my trubb-y ones and the beer's just fine!

It looks like you got a little more trub there then is desirable but that's still a great big band of yeast. You could always wash it again if you're worried about it, or when you go to make a starter just try to leave the trub behind when you pour out the yeast. You'll be fine.

Thanks for the help :)

Latest posts

Back