Portable CO2 Injector

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
Anyone ever try one of these or are they more of a gimmick?

1619.jpg

http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=18301

I could see traveling with a corny to a party or whatever using one of these if they worked. What about using one to give a keg a shot of CO2 before storing it away before you're ready to tap it? I'd suspect that would blast a couple of cartridges and not be worth it, but just asking... I got some brew to keg and I know my kegs are coming before all the rest of my stuff. Trying to avoid having to bottle my current batch in the secondary if I can help it...

I recently purchased one but still havn't used it yet. I just got my first keg delivered today with 2 more on the way.

I have riged up a T in front of mine and am installing a low pressure regulator guage between it and the keg. I want to be able to see how much pressure I'm putting on the keg.

My research into 12 gram cartarages revealed that there is 6.7 liters of CO2 at 1 atmosphere in each cartarage. My simple calculations tell me that it would take 4 cartrages to force carbonate a 5 gal batch to 1.5 volumes. I'm not too sure that the little o ring seal in the thing will hold sufficient pressure to force carbonate. So, I'm planning on just using it to get a good seal in the corney and priming my batch.

I'll use it to dispense the keg at about 6-12 psi.

I'll let you know how it works as soon as I can.

From what I have read, they probably are a waste to try and carbonate with. To dispense a full keg, reportedly takes between 2-3 cartriges. If you just want to displace oxygen and seal a keg they should work fine. I am still trying to decide if I should get a second cheap regulator for my spare 5lb co2 bottle and take that with me on the road or get one of these things. MP Wall

I used them for several years, own three of them. I only use them when loaning a keg out and tell the borrow to buy alot of cartriges. beats loaning out the CO2 tank and gauges.

We averaged about 4 or 5 cartridges a keg.

There is a better model out with a regulator on it, you set the desired PSI's ya want, i think i saw it for $120

Several members in our club use them with their mini-kegerators. 10-gallon Gatorade or similar water dispenser fitted with a tap holding a 3 gallon corny. Everyone seems to be very happy with them.

Wild

IT Works!!!! I just tested mine on a newly rebuilt keg and it works great with no leaks.

I had just fitted new O rings in a corny and wanted to pressure test it. I filled it with water and hooked up my CO2 charger modified with a pressure guage in front of it. I pumped it up to 5 pounds and sprayed all over the top of my keg and all my fittings and the CO2 charger with soapy water and didn't leak, I pushed it up to 10 pounds and repeated, next 20 pounds and finally 32 pounds. No leaks in the system at all and it's only dropped 3 pounds in 30 minutes. I figure that's the CO2 going into suspension.

It's gonna work great.

BTW, I found the mother load of CO2 cartrages on e-bay. 100 ea for $33. Hey for roughly 40 cents a piece (with shipping), I can afford to use this thing.

I'll have a bottle and regulator soon though.

I've used these for a couple of years and they are great for their intended purpose. For carbonation, forget it. It's just not practical. Use them only on already carbonated kegs. Also, don't use them for dispensing your beer at home on a regular basis. You will exceed the cost of a CO2 tank very quickly.

Where these things really shine is taking your kegs on the go. You don't need a pressure gage since most on-the-go applications involve a picnic tap and a very short hose. You only need 1 or maybe 2 psi for proper dispensing. Just connect it, give a short burst, then pour away. With full kegs, you will need to juice the keg more often to maintain flow since there is very little head space.

The one problem I have experienced with these is the small pin right behind the brass screw connection to the keg connector. This pin holds the seal assembly to the keg connector in place. Over time, as the trigger is pulled repeatedly, the pin works it's way out and eventually falls completely out. Then the end pops off and you lose the gas in the cartridge and most likely, the pin itself. Without this pin, the whole thing is useless. If you happen to find the pin, you can put it back together, but this isn't likely.The pin is very small and hard to see when it falls on the ground, or worse, shoots off in any particular direction. What I've done to fix this is to mix up some epoxy adhesive and take a toothpick and put a very small dab of epoxy on the both sides of the hole in which the pin fits. Once the epoxy cures, it prevents the pin from working it's way out. I highly recommend this procedure.

Other than this small problem (easily fixed), these things are great.

Prosit!

Yep, I find mine real handy for beer on the go, but not practical for home use. If I am bringing a keg to a picnic or party or tailgate....whatever, it's much easier than lugging along the CO2 tank and regulator. Add a picnic squeeze tap with a short line and I am good to go. 3-4 cartridges per 5 gallon keg, but I think you could do it with 2 if people didn't insist on sqeezing the trigger thing 'cause they think the beer is not coming out fast enough :rolleyes: !!!

I actually want to get some 2.5G kegs for just such use.....to bring along to parties or whatever.

Gilbey

Sorry to resurrect such a dead thread but, I need to know.

I've gone through 2 of these injectors and both broke after one use. The seal would break and dispenses all the CO2 out of the sides. I've basically resorted to bringing my CO2 tank at parties but that is a huge pain in the ass. The ones they sell at my Homebrew store here in Austin are just awful. Even the employees there don't like them. Is there a more efficient and longer lasting one out there? Please help!!!

Latest posts

Back