Active fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenDawg19

Reaction score
Hello, I made my first extract recipe on April, 16th. I am using a glass carboy with an airlock for primary fermentation.

The bubbling in the airlock has definitely slowed down a lot, but how do I know when the brew is at the end of active fermentation? Is there a standard time frame between bubbles of the airlock? Or, is it a guessing game?

Also, how long can a brew be kept in the primary fermenter before bottling (I am not using a secondary fermenter yet)? If it is kept in the fermenter too long, what can happen?

Thanks in advance.

Get a Hydrometer from your local Homebrew store (LHBS), and ask them for a few quick tips on how to read it (I did, and I am glad I did).

Bottle the brew when the hydrometer readings are the same for 2 - 3 days in a row.

I do have a hydrometer. I'll take readings starting tonight! Thanks.

Get a Hydrometer from your local Homebrew store (LHBS), and ask them for a few quick tips on how to read it (I did, and I am glad I did).

Bottle the brew when the hydrometer readings are the same for 2 - 3 days in a row.

There really is no reason to take a hydrometer reading until at least 7 days. If you just made this brew let it sit and complete fermenting. Folks are always in a bit of a hurry on the first batch but you are better off waiting at least 7-10 days before transfering of any sort.

Yep, consistent hydrometer readings that sit around your expected final gravity (FG), will give you the relaxed state of mind required to sit out 3 weeks of conditioning your first home brew. Seriously, give it at least 3 weeks in the bottle. You will want to try "just one bottle to check it's OK". Leave it be. It is a domino effect. The first beer goes and the rest follow in quick succession. Soon you are left with no beer to drink, you forgot to brew another because you were too pissed to go to the LHBS to get some ingredients, the world stops turning..... all bad.

Enjoy!
:)

I made the brew on the 16th. I had put the 23rd in my original posting. So, it's been 7 days so far.

There really is no reason to take a hydrometer reading until at least 7 days. If you just made this brew let it sit and complete fermenting. Folks are always in a bit of a hurry on the first batch but you are better off waiting at least 7-10 days before transfering of any sort.

I would leave it for a few more weeks, the gravity will probably drop a few more points, then you are ready to bottle/keg.

Happy Drinking to you...in a few weeks.

Leave it in even after it seems active fermentation has stopped? How long can I keep it in the primary without any ill effects?

I would leave it for a few more weeks, the gravity will probably drop a few more points, then you are ready to bottle/keg.

Happy Drinking to you...in a few weeks.

Leaving it in the primary will actually be good for the beer the longer you leave it, up to a certain amount of time of course (but that can almost be measured in years, well, half years).

IMHO, I wait about 10 days to 3 weeks in the primary and then secondary for at least another week.

Seeing as this is your first brew and you're not using a secondary, I would wait another 5-7 days before bottling. The yeast are still in there doing their thing, after fermentation they start to clean up after themselves.

Thanks for the good advice. I'll wait at least another week and take another hydrometer reading.

Leaving it in the primary will actually be good for the beer the longer you leave it, up to a certain amount of time of course (but that can almost be measured in years, well, half years).

IMHO, I wait about 10 days to 3 weeks in the primary and then secondary for at least another week.

Seeing as this is your first brew and you're not using a secondary, I would wait another 5-7 days before bottling. The yeast are still in there doing their thing, after fermentation they start to clean up after themselves.

I took that 1st reading at 7 days in primary and got 1.021. That was on 4/23. I took another reading tonight at 16 days in primary and got 1.021. I also had a taste - so far, so good! Do you think it is OK to bottle on Tuesday? That would be 19 days in the primary.

By the way, OG was 1.061.

Back