Vacation Inspired Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
Two recipes inspired by my vacation by the Ocean:

Coronado CAP
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 20.00 Wort Size (Gal): 20.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 45.00
Anticipated OG: 1.06000 Plato: 14.741
Anticipated SRM: 2.7
Anticipated IBU: 38.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
44.4 20.00 lbs. Lager Malt(6-row) Canada 1.03100 1
33.3 15.00 lbs. Flaked Corn (Maize) America 1.04000 1
22.2 10.00 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.03800 2

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
8.00 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.50 32.8 60 min.
4.00 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.50 5.5 20 min.
3.00 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.50 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP800 Pilsner Lager

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Name: decoc 40_60_70
Total Grain Lbs: 45.00
Total Water Qts: 45.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Total Water Gal: 11.25 - Before Additional Infusions
Tun Thermal Mass: 0.00
Grain Temp: 80.00 F

Step Rest Start Stop Heat Infuse Infuse Infuse
Step Name Time Time Temp Temp Type Temp Amount Ratio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Glucan/Enzyme Prep 2 30 108 106 Infuse 113 45.00 1.00
Beta Amylase 3 30 140 138 Infuse 211 25.86 1.57
Alpha Amylase 15 30 158 156 Decoc 210 23.76 1.57 (Decoc Thickness)
Mashout 10 10 177 177 Decoc 210 33.27 1.57 (Decoc Thickness)

Total Water Qts: 70.86 - After Additional Infusions
Total Water Gal: 17.71 - After Additional Infusions
Total Mash Volume Gal: 21.31 - After Additional Infusions

Melanoma IPA

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 10.00 Wort Size (Gal): 10.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 29.00
Anticipated OG: 1.08197 Plato: 19.773
Anticipated SRM: 8.6
Anticipated IBU: 67.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
69.0 20.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.03800 3
10.3 3.00 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.03500 20
20.7 6.00 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.03800 2
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
5.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 53.8 75 min.
5.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 13.4 15 min.
3.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP051 California Ale V

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 29.00
Water Qts: 36.25 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 9.06 - Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.25 - Before Additional Infusions
Saccharification Rest Temp : 150 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Sparge Temp : 0 Time: 0

Thoughts anyone?

I like the complexity it adds in an IPA. It gives a drier malt tone then the pale malt alone, which I get a richer flavor from. The higher kilning of the pale verses the pilsner.

Did you ever source more under-modified Pilsen malt? I'd really like to experiment with some. I'm not really a lager guy, but the Kaiser has shown me a bit of the light (some get saved cause they see the light, others cause they feel the heat...) and now that I have a brew fridge I'm going to whip out an Oktoberfest (yes, I know) with a similar mash schedule to your Coronado CAP.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Did you ever source more under-modified Pilsen malt? I'd really like to experiment with some. I'm not really a lager guy, but the Kaiser has shown me a bit of the light (some get saved cause they see the light, others cause they feel the heat...) and now that I have a brew fridge I'm going to whip out an Oktoberfest (yes, I know) with a similar mash schedule to your Coronado CAP.

The grain I was using is no longer being imported. It was Budvar's grain and was being brought in by St Pats, but not any more. It really is too bad and I wish somebody would pick it back up, but...

The schedule here is one George Fix ran that skips the 50C step and so works well with the modified grains. I actually use a different vessel to decoct in. It is a 20 gallon kettle and wheels around on its own.

DecoctionCerealCooker.jpg

I am glad you are coming to see the light, there is more to life then hops and esters.

Austin Homebrew has (or had) an undermodified Pilsen malt. The man has his foot on my neck at work and I can't surf there, but I might check it out later at home. I don't think it is the famed Moravian malt, but who knows.

Regarding the 40C step with fully modified malt...is it just for extra efficiency or ? I was under the impression that a b-g rest was primarily of use with under-modified malt. I did see a nice jump in efficiency for my Hefeweizen when I added an acid rest which I assume hydrated the mash better (amongst other things) before getting to the business steps.

I'm thinking pretty much the same schedule as you have, with a thick decoction to go beta->alpha and a thin decoction (runoff, basically) to go alpha->mashout.

It does help with efficiency and with the whole mash process, especially run-off and clarity. My feeble brain loses the details, I just know it works well and I like the results. It is also enjoyable to do a bit more with the process then just the old dump-stir-rest of your basic single step infusion.

Fix talks about this in the following: http://realbeer.com/spencer/FAQ/Fix-mash.html

I'll have to check it when I get home, which will actually be a little earlier than usual thanks to an afternoon dr's visit. I'll probably brew this weekend which means I'll be using the fully modified Pilsener I scavenged off the Kaiser, but I'll definitely be getting my hands on some under-modified for future experiments. I'm with you on the extra process...if I'm decocting I'm not vacuuming, mowing the lawn, folding laundry, etc.

That Fix guy knows his stuff. Guess I'll also have to buy Noonan's book now that I have a dedicated brew fridge, as well.

I'm curious about that WLP051. I've never used but have been meaning to. What makes it different (in your opinion, not the company line from White Labs) from regular WLP001?

BTW, welcome back!

Dude said:
I'm curious about that WLP051. I've never used but have been meaning to. What makes it different (in your opinion, not the company line from White Labs) from regular WLP001?

BTW, welcome back!

Thanks, it is fun to be back.

I like the wlp051 because of its maltier finish. I love the 001 because it is really clean and crisp, but I use the 051 in this beer because I want more complexity in the way of esters and malt. This is a big beer with lots of hops smashing around. I want the yeast to be right in the fight and really give some strong tones. The 051 does a better job of this then the 001.

Brewpastor said:
Thanks, it is fun to be back.

I like the wlp051 because of its maltier finish. I love the 001 because it is really clean and crisp, but I use the 051 in this beer because I want more complexity in the way of esters and malt. This is a big beer with lots of hops smashing around. I want the yeast to be right in the fight and really give some strong tones. The 051 does a better job of this then the 001.

Awesome, that is what I wanted to hear!

Baron von BeeGee said:
Naw, I still have some wheat in inventory. Plus it arguably requires a more complex mash...

LOL The two greatest factors in deciding what beer to make:

1- what ingredients do I have on hand
2- which process will keep me out of honey-dos the longest

Back