Bottling day interupted by force of nature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9/9

Collembola!
Reaction score
Today was a first...

We were about to start bottling our latest batch today (an APA), and the rain started. No big deal, but it started to get worse and worse. Right around the time we were about to start moving the beer to the bottling bucket, there was an incredible crash. I looked out the window to see this (with sparks flying), on the neighbor's house...

house1qm5.jpg

I ran around to the front of the house, and saw this...

car2ao1.jpg

If you look carefully under that large pile of tree and electrical wires (still live, at this point), you can see that my car is under there.

Fortunately, you can see from the back view, that the damage could have been a lot worse...

car1bo5.jpg

This was all around 5:00 tonight. It is now 11:00, and the power company just got here to cut power to the wires and give us a closer look at the car. I will be back on the phone with our insurance company tomorrow to figure out the best way to uncover the car in a way that won't end up with them complaining we damaged it in the process. The branch came from my neighbor's tree, but should be covered by my insurance...

Anyone have any suggestions for a good name for the beer that is still not bottled because of this? We give most of our beers insect names (I have my degree in entomology), but we might have to make an exception for this one...

Actually, it looks like the branch came down when the tree was struck by lightning. I didn't see it happen, but the neighbor across the street said she saw the lightning and you can see in the last pic some scorching on the end of the branch.

Lightning Bug Ale?

How about Urban Timber?
:eek:
If a tree falls on your car and no one is around to hear it does it make any noise?

+1 on Urban Timber, has a nice ring to it.

If you want to stick with the insects I like Lightning Bug too. And sorry about the car, hopefully your insurance will be reasonable about it. Like you've said though, it could be worse.

Lighting Rod APA, Wind Reaver APA, Storm of the Century APA (Only because I'm reading King's screenplay version, if you were in Maine and it was the proper time of winter it may be more fitting)

In the end, basic may be more appropriate...

TreeCar APA.

Sorry regardless. However, it is what you pay insurance for tho... :rockin:

Ize

Praying Mantis Ale. Bet you're praying that the damage to the car isn't too great and saying a prayer of thanks that nobody got hurt.

The Beer That Pissed off God.

I like this one, though CarTree Ale might end up winning the popular vote.

Finally getting in to take a look at the car close up in the light of day makes me feel better. It looks like mostly just some scratches, but I will have to have someone who actually knows something about cars take a look at it once we get the tree off of it.

Hopefully we can fit in time to get the beer bottled this evening after work.

That sucks. I hope your insurance experience is pleasant. Here's a title that combines everything you want (insects, storms, and falling trees):

"Thor-Axe Ale":D

man, sorry about the car. hope it's ok. i'm in durham too and had the same storm come right over me. it was a pretty good one, we had some good sized hail.

man, sorry about the car. hope it's ok. i'm in durham too and had the same storm come right over me. it was a pretty good one, we had some good sized hail.

Good to see someone else from Durham here. We seemed to avoid the hail, but obviously got a lot of wind, rain and lightning. Our friends in the north part of Durham had hail with the diameter of a nickel.

Wind Blown Ale or Lights Out Ale :mug:
good luck hope very one was ok
we had some bad weather too here in Raleigh know know Durham got it to

Lenny

Back