Belgian Pale Ale partial with mangrove jacks belgian ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eskimoJoe

Reaction score
hello all, i have done some extract kits in the past and some cider making, but I think i am ready to take the next step and make a partial extract.

i want a 4-5% easy drinking light summer beer with some freshness added by grains and hops.

i will work with 'mangrove jacks belgian ale' extract along with some fuggles hops, and im thinking of using pilsner, vienna, pale crystal or caravine for grain.

im still doing research one which grains to use, im still kind of a noob in this department, but i plan on brewing this within a week, suggestions would be appreciated.

heres are the ingredients and methods i will use

1 can (1.7kg) mangrove jacks belgian ale extract kit (prehopped with an ibu of 22-26)
2 lbs belgian pilsner malt ( or german pils if unavailable)
1 lbs caravienne malt
0.5-1 oz fuggles for 15 minute boil (looking for flavor, not much for bitterness..again i've never used hops before, still looking for ideas)
undetermined hops for dry hopping
light dme to top up to desired gravity (abv of 4.0-4.5%)

Well it turns out my local brew shops don't have what I'm looking for.... Their orders haven't come in for a month or so ( they made excuses but I'll spare you the story) so I was I only able to come up with 2 lbs of gambrinus vienna malt . I'm too impatient to wait for pilsner malt, and their German alternatives were to dark for my liking. They also don't stock grain steeping bags, so I'll have to check out lowes or Home Depot for Something similar.... Sometimes shopping in alaska can be a pain but I digress.

I have ever used a grain masher before, I think I crushed them too fine if that's even possible.

image-1201574034.jpg

For grain steeping bag you can use a panty hose that you can buy from a regular store, as far as the crushed grains, from the picture some seem crushed well while others seem to still be whole. I would consider using a roller pin like for rolling dough if you don't have a mill. But just take your grains, get your temp up to 160 degrees, and steep for like an hour and go to town!

Thanks for the lightning quick reply ismedeiros88, you are correct about the inconsistency, I tuned the grain mill opening 'wide' for 1 lb. of Vienna and 'narrow' for the other lb. of vienna to get a good mix ( still leaning haha) and I think I'll use a paint straining bag for the grains. thanks for the tips

Update: brewed today to an og of around 1.030 using two lbs of Vienna and the extract kit, used dextrose to bring up to 1.040. 30 minute boil of fuggles for flavor. Hoping for an abv of 4%.

Down to fg of 1.011 tonight. I will bottle tomorrow at 10 days In primary with an abv of ~ 3.8 %, probably around 4% with dextrose bottle prime.

Just kidding I heard the air lock bubble, looks like it needs some more time

Latest posts

Back