Most ghetto-est motorized mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I added a piece of wood and some wood clamps to my mill and drill. Sad, I know, but it gives me ideas. I.e., if my drill turns this mill fine, why do I need a big motor, belts, reduction gears, etc. Why not just get a old AC drill body, remove the body, and permanently attach it to my mill?

Anyway, here is a video of my drill, clamped to my mill. Worked great. Sorry, youtube embedding not working for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why go through all the trouble to remove the motor and then rig a new mounting system? What you have works great. I have a Harbor Freight 1/2" drill running my Monster mill. Ghetto? Maybe....but works fine for me. :)

Harbor Freight is like a rocks through from where I work.

In any event, I prefer to go the Ryobi route anyway. They're powered by Mabuchi motors... You can buy a 1/2" chuck drill for under $10 (sometimes shipped) and the gearing is way superior to the Harbor Freight trash. The only drawback is it's the 18V DC model but I've yet to bind one up on the 2" Monster Mill 2 Roller so I think it's adequate. I picked up the little micro-chainsaw with mine, a battery, and charger for only $40 and that has got to be the lightest semi-useful chainsaw I've ever seen.

Granted, a really ugly Craftsman hammer drill is virtually the pinnacle of indestructible for this sort of thing but I've not seen any at a yard sale yet. If I could find one though... Oh my damn.

Just like everything homebrew, if it works for you, run with it. I went the electric motor / pulley route. Got the motor from a local scrap yard for $3. The pulleys and belt set me back $60, but they'll last a very long time. Worst case secenario, I have to replace a belt somewhere far down the road and perhaps fork over another $3 for a scrap motor if mine ever wears out (I doubt it will).

I'll give you duct tape

IMG_6470.jpg

Hey, give the guy some credit... He actually used it on ducts.

Except that that tape was actually originally called "duck" tape, not duct tape. Why? Someone added adhesive to duck cloth so that the military could tear it easily without a tool. It would eventually find use on ducts, but decades after it's invention. True story.

Why was I under the impression that I shouldn't run my drill at full speed?
I was always targeting a certain noise level for RPM and then just saw you open 'er up and go for it...

Except that that tape was actually originally called "duck" tape, not duct tape. Why? Someone added adhesive to duck cloth so that the military could tear it easily without a tool. It would eventually find use on ducts, but decades after it's invention. True story.

Now it makes sense that in Germany we call it "Panzerband" :tank:

Why was I under the impression that I shouldn't run my drill at full speed?
I was always targeting a certain noise level for RPM and then just saw you open 'er up and go for it...

I thought that way until one night when I was in a hurry and opened it up, efficiency did not suffer.

Yes, but see... Now you're splitting hairs. Plus, please don't encourage him to tape up a badelynge of ducks.

Fun Sidenote, my grandfathers both referred to it as 100mph tape as when they were in the service it was used to patch holes in fighter planes.

"Duct tape" is awful for use on air ducts. Warm air ducts, at least. The adhesive gives way from the heat. Foil tape is designed for air ducts.

I used a heat resistant line-x with a screw on flap for cleaning for mine. Works like a champ. But I needed mine insulated for safety.

Oh, and now that I think about it... We used actual duct tape on ventilation ducts. Worked like a champ so long as you get a good brand. I've never had Gorilla lose adhesion...

The dragons were cool. I wonder if you could get by with just feeding them spent grain?

The dragons were cool. I wonder if you could get by with just feeding them spent grain?

Chickens love spent grain, so do dogs, heck, all animals probably do. And at the volumes they're brewing in the video, something tells me there's enough spent grain to feed the dragons. Although if for some reason the grain doesn't agree wtih them...anyone know what dragon diarrhea entails? Sounds scary...

Back