Cheap co2 regulators?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

somedudefromguam

Reaction score
I want to add a couple regulators...found these...http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=4-1489&catname=

After deciding to buy, I have come to realize that these say maximum psi 300, I am thinking that it might not be safe to use with CO2. I remember reading a thread that recommended and got a lot of good reviews/ comments, so, I bookmarked these cheap regulators in my favorites. Now, I cant find the thread and am wondering if any body knows anything about these cheap regulators.

They look like they are made of plastic... seems like a bad idea, but I thought I would ask, because I know I read about someone carbonating beer with these....

Well, thanks,
Eric

We used a bunch of these at my last job to pipe compressed air to everyone's cubical for pneumatic thermostat testing. You get what you pay for. They would break all the time and needed to be replaced. Having compressed air bleed out all night long while no one was in the office was a waste of electricity but for a homebrewer to risk coming home from work to find that their CO2 tank is completely empty would not be worth it IMHO.

The only time I've seen things like that mentioned (the regulator) is on spunding valves where you set it to only retain a lower pressure set. It's also where it won't matter (as much) if it leaks more. I wouldn't build up one as a primary regulator, at all. MAYBE as a secondary regulator, but I also don't think those are needed 99% of the time.

When you're talking about CO2 going with cheap hardware rarely pays off. More often than not you'll end up junking the cheap item and get that better one anyway. Which means you now spent MORE than you would have if you just went with the proper hardware to begin with.

BTW, these are designed for use with air compressors, not pressurized gas cylinders.

That would work as a secondary regulator, which is what it's designed for. In that case, your inlet pressure would be well below 300 psi, so it should work fine. Unless it breaks randomly like crane mentioned. This isn't designed to be used as a primary regulator, and it never should be.

It doesn't include any fittings or a gauge, so it's not the biggest bargain in the world. Say you spend $5-10 for a gauge, maybe $10 on all the fittings (inlet nipple, outlet ball valve, check valve, outlet barb, etc.) and you're looking at $25-30. You can get a solid Tapright setup for about $50, and you'd never have to worry about it.

Dragging an old post back from the grave here but:

What about this as a secondary regulator?
It even includes a gauge.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Air-Pn...1-4-NPT-MINI-AIR-REGULATOR-W-GAUGE-4-1780.axd

I wouldn't suggest using that, period. For one thing, the graduation on the regulator isn't even close to what you want for use with beer (carbonating or serving). With only three marks before it hits 25psi, it's nigh on useless. Especially if you want at least a good idea of what pressure you're pushing through it.

Back