Irish Red Ale Donovan's Irish Sunset

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdaddybrew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Munton\\'s Gold Dry
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
SRM11
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 days 61-65F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
Amber/Red, creamy, smooth, toasted Caramel, hint of roasted malt.
Ingredients
88% 8 lbs Maris Otter
5.5% 1/2 lbs 80L Crystal
5.5% 1/2 lbs 20L Carared
1% 1/8 lbs Roasted Barley

1 tsp Irish Moss last 15 minutes of boil

1 oz of Kent Goldings Hops pellets for 60 min

1/8 tsp Chalk
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1 1/2 tsp Gypsum
1/4 tsp Epsom
1 tsp Salt
Add minerals to a pint of Club soda to dissolve then add to 8 gallons of Reverse Osmosis water.

Procedure
pre-heated mash tun with 5 gallons of hot tap water, drained
4 gallons of strike water at 160f
Mashed for 60 minutes at 150f, drained
Batch sparge 2 gallons at 180f, stirred, waited 10 minutes, drained
Batch sparge 2 gallons at 170, stirred, waited 10 minutes, drained

80% efficiency
5.125 galons in the Primary

Beautiful amber/red color, just enough hops to balance the caramel sweetness, toastiness from the maris and a hint of roasted barley, creamy head with good retention, some lacing. Delicious Irish Red.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres a picture...

downsized_Image10062012132627.jpg

It was very smooth and delicious. I might add 2 more ounces of roasted barley next time for a little more of that irish roasted flavor. Took my corny to a pig roast and they drank it all. First time thats happened for me. Maybe I should leave the recipe alone.

I brewed this back in mid-November. I cold crashed it mid-December and followed-up with gelatin. It went into the keg on Dec. 19. At that time, I took a small sample. I was a little discouraged with the flavor, but nevertheless left it to carbonate over the Christmas break while I was out of town.

I came home last night and tasted another sample (now that it's carbonated), and wow, what a difference! It tastes fantastic. It definitely evokes a flavor profile similar to Smithwick's, in my opinion. The carbonation still has a little ways to go (I think I overfilled the keg), and the colour is a little too light to be considered a true "red," but overall, this is one of the best beers I've brewed to date.

Thanks for the recipe!

I'm gald you liked the recipe. It is a little light for a red. Was yours lighter than mine? I find it very smooth and chuggable. This is on my brew rotation. Happy New Year!

Mine is actually a little bit lighter than an IPA I brewed at the same time. I reused the yeast and just brewed a different red recipe (Saccharomyces' recipe in the Scottish and Irish Ale recipe database), which has 3 times as much roasted malt, so I can compare the two. But so far Donovan's has gotten rave reviews from everyone I've shared it with. :)

Copied so it will display for mobile devices...

Recipe Type:
All Grain
Yeast: Munton\'s Gold Dry
Yeast Starter: No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 21
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: SRM11
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30 days 61-65F
Additional Fermentation: None
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): None
Tasting Notes: Amber/Red, creamy, smooth, toasted Caramel, hint of roasted malt.

Ingredients
88% 8 lbs Maris Otter
5.5% 1/2 lbs 80L Crystal
5.5% 1/2 lbs 20L Carared
1% 1/8 lbs Roasted Barley

1 tsp Irish Moss last 15 minutes of boil

1 oz of Kent Goldings Hops pellets for 60 min

Back