Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image-1872107051.jpg

Two hours in!

Smoked these beauties for our Easter get together. Two butts for about ten hours with a dry rub and smoked with orange wood and a touch of hickory. They fell apart as I took them off the grates. Tossed with a nice East Carolina sauce.

image-2492117954.jpg

image-3077638550.jpg

I got 1/3 ham & a big leg of lamb in the pit since 1:15pm. With mesquite,pin oak,& ash. Nice western dry rub on'em both. Got about 6 degrees to go,after 4 hours & 8 minutes.
** It took 6 hours & 15 minutes total for both. The twice smoked ham was great! & the fat cap on the lamb kept it moist & tender as it was medium well when done. gotta get a new quick check thermometer. Also made a bunch of stir fried local fresh veggies to go with it & my APA. Gunna have ham-n-cheese tonight. The lamb leg for stew later.

here is my Easter Feast, I made a 20 lb cured ham for pulled ham bbq with a pineapple honey mustard bbq sauce, pineapple stuffing, tater salad, hawaiian ABT's, deviled crabs, stuffed mushrooms and ice cold beer

2012-04-07 15.32.14.jpg

2012-04-08 08.57.45.jpg

2012-04-08 12.10.16.jpg

2012-04-08 11.25.17.jpg

2012-04-08 11.40.22.jpg

Easter turkey dinner on the U.D.S.
This was the first time using a diffuser/water pan so the meat is a lot lighter in color than usual.

smoked turkey easter.jpg

here is my Easter Feast, I made a 20 lb cured ham for pulled ham bbq with a pineapple honey mustard bbq sauce, pineapple stuffing, tater salad, hawaiian ABT's, deviled crabs, stuffed mushrooms and ice cold beer

Toolbox, what's in the deviled crab? Sounds good?

Smoked these beauties for our Easter get together. Two butts for about ten hours with a dry rub and smoked with orange wood and a touch of hickory. They fell apart as I took them off the grates. Tossed with a nice East Carolina sauce.

You willing to share the recipe?

You willing to share the recipe?

From memory it's a real simple sauce. Take a 1/2 gallon of cider vinegar, 1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 light brown sugar and 1/4 cup or so of crushed red pepper flakes. I usually will bring it to a boil just to disolve the salt and sugar.

From memory it's a real simple sauce. Take a 1/2 gallon of cider vinegar, 1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 light brown sugar and 1/4 cup or so of crushed red pepper flakes. I usually will bring it to a boil just to disolve the salt and sugar.
Thanks

I may give it a try this weekend.

I was at my buddies place in Michigan a couple weekends ago and he smoked some spares that were really good but the sauce was just ok. I got home and went back to work and was pleasantly surprised to see I had back ribs featured in my shop that week for 2.99 so I picked up a few slabs and threw then in the freezer.

Yesterday I had a hankering for ribs so I pulled a slab out and got to work. I generously covered ten with yellow mustard and KC rib rub and threw them on the BGE for 3 hours at 225 then slathered em with a 50/50 blend of blues hog original and blues hog Tennessee red and let em go another hour at 300. Whoo doggy were they good.

image-2667607877.jpg

Served with a sweet potato and slaw. Tuesdays don't get much better.

I did some ribs on Sunday evening...just a rack I split in half (vertical gas smoker unit) and dry rubbed them after the Mrs. brined them in a steam beer marinade.

they weren't great quality spare ribs, but they weren't bad!

I did some ribs on Sunday evening...just a rack I split in half (vertical gas smoker unit) and dry rubbed them after the Mrs. brined them in a steam beer marinade.

they weren't great quality spare ribs, but they weren't bad!

Nice idea with the beer brining. I need to try that on something.

I forgot to post a shot of my bacon from my 3-4 post. Here you go.

ForumRunner_20120519_201216.jpg

Sliced is below. Took a while but well worth it.

ForumRunner_20120519_201334.jpg

I just did a short, hot smoke on some Mahi Mahi. Not really smoking, but not really grilling either. Maybe indirect heat grilling? Tasty nonetheless.

image-3023591915.jpg

I am finally FINALLY getting a weekend where I can fire up the smoker. Doing some baby backs.

My wife serves a meal to the kitchen and custodial staff at her school every year so Thursday I put 3 10 pound butt roasts on at 250F, Friday morning I added 3 chickens and we served it to them at lunch yesterday.

Brewing beer, smoking pork, drinking moments, ya gota love holiday weekends.

ForumRunner_20120526_171659.jpg

ForumRunner_20120526_171659.jpg

ForumRunner_20120526_171802.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120526_171740.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120526_171740.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 224
Smoking 2 pork shoulders, a chuck roast, a rack of ribs, 2 cornish game hens, and a bunch of chicken. Will post pics later.

We didn't do anything elaborate, but we did some chicken with mesquite for dinner tonight. Came out quite good.

couple racks of ribs and some chicken wings are heading in the smoker tomorrow while I brew an American Wheat

Forgot to take pics of the finished products until after they were pretty much gone. The ribs, beef, and cornish game hens were gone almost immediately, but I have one pork shoulder and some chicken leftover.

7799-2012-05-26-11-15-02.jpg

7800-2012-05-26-15-46-45.jpg

7809-2012-05-26-23-45-14.jpg

We did a hickory smoked pork shoulder for pulled pork. Just let it go for most of the day. I put a really basic rub on it, nothing fancy - brown sugar, paprika, dry mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

I've got home made barbecue sauce for dressing and some potato salad on the side, so I'm pretty excited about dinner tonight.

Back