Dropped a wooden spoon in my wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maggator

Reaction score
Made a Maris Otter & centennial SMASH this morning. Dropped a wooden spoon in the wort before pitching yeast.

Who thinks I'll be dumping thus batch down the drain in the near future?

maggator said:
Made a Maris Otter & centennial SMASH this morning. Dropped a wooden spoon in the wort before pitching yeast.

Who thinks I'll be dumping thus batch down the drain in the near future?

The spoon was not sanitized. Left that out

When I screw up like that, it usually ends up one of the better one's. Though next time u make it, sanitize the spoon....then drop it in:D

I didn't think of that. Im an idiot. I panicked, pitched the yeast and am hoping for the best

Hopefully it will turn out

I can say it it's been wood aged for 1 second!!!

My first beer I brewed I had too much to drink by the time we were pitching the yeast.. I dropped the strained (sanitized) in the fermenter and drunken me went in after it with my hand about ARM deep.....

...turned out awesome. No need to worry you should be fine.

I bet it'll be fine. RDWHAHB!

And btw, Maris Otter/Centennial Smashes are awesome. I've made that combo at least 3 times in the last year or so because SWMBO, her dad and I like it so much.

I don't think it is really that easy to contaminate a beer. But best to sanitize everything to minimize the possibility.

Think about the thousands of years beer has been brewed. Now think of only the couple hundred years we have known about germs. Beer has been brewed in woods and plains and deserts without soap, without star-san or iodophor. In spidery, mildewy scary trappist cellars (sours or not). I tend to think most people over concern themselves with sanitation. Sure, you want things to be clean and do what you can to avoid contamination, but as long as you didn't just scratch your ass with said spoon, *personally* I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

EdMerican said:
Think about the thousands of years beer has been brewed. Now think of only the couple hundred years we have known about germs. Beer has been brewed in woods and plains and deserts without soap, without star-san or iodophor. In spidery, mildewy scary trappist cellars (sours or not). I tend to think most people over concern themselves with sanitation. Sure, you want things to be clean and do what you can to avoid contamination, but as long as you didn't just scratch your ass with said spoon, *personally* I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Plus one. People here freak out over small contamination concerns while ignoring temps and arguing pitching rates. A wooden spoon for three seconds isn't going to do anything, you're all good OP.

Well said sir :mug:

Latest posts

Back