Blackberry melomel - taster bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilot210

Reaction score
I brewed up a 2.5 gallon batch of blackberry melomel and I'm about ready to bottle. I've got plenty of wine bottles for the batch, but want to bottle some taster bottles to gauge the progress of the nectar. Can I just bottle up a dozen or so beer bottles with crown caps? The plan is to open up a taster bottle every couple of months...

Thx!

Yes, you can do that.
There may be some difference over the long haul in the development between crown capped bottles and corked bottles, but in the short run, it won't make a big difference.

Yes I do this frequently, usually 6 bottles or so myself. Also makes it easier to give a bottle away for someone to try.

Thats all I ever bottle my mead in, if your going to have them around for a while I would get the oxygen absorbing caps.

Funny you should mention the Grolsch bottles. I scored a dozen and a half free ones from CL a few weeks ago. I used them for the rest of the batch...and did replace the seals first. I didn't end up using beer bottles. I kinda forgot I had saved a bunch of small wine bottles, so they are my tasters:

DSC_7307a.jpg

My local homebrew shop has 187ml (6.3 oz) bottles that take either a cap or a cork. 28 dollars for 24 bottles, so just over a buck each. I don't usually give these away but they are great to try one every few months. I like to bottle as close to a 1 serving size as possible so I don't worry that some might go to waste, and 6 oz is about right for most my high abv homebrews.

Your blackberry melomel's color is look like mine.
I'm going to rack it soon.
Beautiful!!

Back