Ready to go all grain but waiting on blichmann

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpinetti

Reaction score
Decided to make the leap to all grain and jumped right in by using my bonus from work and selling some guns to purchase a Top Tier setup. That was 3 weeks ago if not more and have yet to receive it. Got the 10 gallon boilermaker to go along with a new terminator, March pump, Blichmann burner and a 10 gallon cooler MT conversion. First batch is gonna be a smashing pumpkin ale with added pumpkin in the mash. I'm chomping at the bit to get going and getting frustrated about the delay. If this takes any longer I'm gonna have to do an extract batch just to get my brewing fix!!! Damn you Blichmann!!!

I feel your pain.

A pumpkin ale for your first ever all grain batch is... daring. Read up beforehand on how to avoid/alleviate a stuck mash.

Yeah, among other things that will be helpful. Also make sure to raise the temperature before draining. That will liquify the gummier mash particulate.

I think there's a tendency to panic when faced with a stuck mash, especially if it's your first. A cool head is key to getting through it.

Rice hulls right? How much? A couple hand fulls?

I used ten percent on my last cherry light I made. It was 50/50 2 row and flaked maize. It still got stuck. Rice hulls are relatively cheap and I haven't been able to over do it yet. I know it's not exactly the same thing but just wanted to give an example

Back