Critique my rye IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe dial back the full on Rye Malt and split it up with Flaked Rye. If the OG is all the way up at 1.102 like it says, maybe some more IBU's are in order :) Oh Yeah! And throw in about a pound or so of Rice Hulls, it's gonna get sticky in there!

How does 10% of each sound?

I'm also not really sure what the benefits of flaked rye are in terms of flavor. Everything I've read refers mainly to it being gelatinized with no enzymes of it's own, etc. . .

And for the hops, what do you recommend as a good BU:GU ratio? Should I up the flavor/aroma or just the bittering charge?

Thanks!
Chris

I'd back way off on the crystal, like 1lb or less. looks great otherwise

I usually try to push to around a 1:1 BUGU ratio... I've got a Rye Double IPA that'll be around 150IBU's, but I know a lot of those will be lost in solution. I wouldn't be afraid to push 120 with what you've got, but then again, it's whatever you're going for. At around 90 though, there's a good chance you'll end up pretty sweet. AND DON"T FORGET THOSE RICE HULLS! At 20% Rye, it's going to be a tough mash, I'd even go more than 1 pound in it... The Flaked Rye is just another way to ensure you don't get a stuck mash.

Why cut back on the rye? It's a RYE IIPA. 15-20% is just about right. You'll get more flavor out of rye malt than flaked rye. Maybe a pound of flaked for a little extra head... I would cut the crystal in half and replace a lb of the pale malt with sugar to give the yeast a little something extra to chew on. Maybe a little extra bittering???

I agree with poobah. Use the rye malt and make it at least 20% of the grain bill. Also a tip from a pro brewer in the area that makes a killer Rye IPA is to use some crystal rye. The sugar tip is a good idea as well with an OG that high.

Thanks for the input everyone. . . My local shop doesn't carry flaked rye, so I'm going to stick with the 20% malted rye and throw some flaked barley in there for head retention. . .

I re-jigged the recipe a bit, adding some sugar, rice hulls (which were always a part of the plan), and the aforementioned barley.

Check it out here.

Latest posts

Back