There IS hope for undercarbonated, too-hoppy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MariaAZ

Reaction score
In early December I brewed my first batch, an extract & steeped grain American pale ale kit. Being not only a newbie in brewing but also a newbie in beer drinking (my faves are Oktoberfest & hefeweizen, both relatively low hopped brews) I didn't realize exactly HOW much more bitter/hoppy the APA would be.

It's been over 5 weeks since bottling, and each sample I tried tasted WAY too bitter with not enough carbonation. The latest sample, however, tasted a lot different than the one a week prior. Although it's hoppier than I'm used to, the bite had mellowed noticeably. And, carbonation levels had improved dramatically. Although the brew doesn't form a sturdy head when poured, I DO get a bit of foam. Of course I had to make sure that it wasn't just that one bottle ;) but both bottles I've tried thus far are equally tasty.

Overall, it took a lot of patience to let the beer "do it's thing" but it's amazing what a little time can do for a brew!

Bitterness could be caused by either hops or by steeping grains above 170 degrees F. Low carbonization, too little priming sugar or the bottles venting. Some beers take a few weeks to mature and mellow.

I know what you mean I am very impatient and often dont let my brews age enough. It is really amazing what a little time can do

I find the best way to resist the temptation to open a bottle too early is to get busy with your next brew batch. I'm on my fourth batch in as many weeks and haven't even enjoyed a sip of my first yet...(I have the bottles hidden away to lessen the temptation.)

MariaAZ said:
It's been over 5 weeks since bottling, and each sample I tried tasted WAY too bitter with not enough carbonation. The latest sample, however, tasted a lot different than the one a week prior. Although it's hoppier than I'm used to, the bite had mellowed noticeably. And, carbonation levels had improved dramatically.
This is typical. When I tasted the wort from my first brew I almost threw it out. I thought for sure I had made it too bitter. It's suprising how bitterness mellows with time.
Be carefull. I've heard of more than one person that became a hop heads by drinking too much APAs or IPAs.

On the downside, hoppy doesn't last for more than a year, even under the best of conditions. So, there's a sweet spot for drinking it. Keep checking it.

Hoppy beers don't make hop heads, hop heads make hoppy beers!

Being in AZ you might try doing your next beer with some store bought water. I've heard other desert brewers complain about astringent (harsh, BAD) hop flavors. This is especially a problem if you are on well water.

Brew your way through the problem.

Back