is pilsen malt extract the same as extra light

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
ive been using golden malt syrup from northern brewer which i assume is just light malt extract. ive tried doing late extract additions and my brew is still turning out darker than i'd prefer. ill probably give DME a shot next to see if i can get the color down. anyway, is pilsen malt extract the same as extra light malt extract or does it have a different malt character?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-ingredients/malt-extract/malt-syrup

you can look at the manufacturers website and see if they will give you a list of ingredients and an SMR rating. the SMR rating is what you need to pay attention to when trying to control color.

No, they are not the same. Pilsner extract would imply the product is made from pilsner malt. Generic extract would use pale malt as the main ingredient .

Depends on the manufacturer, Briess makes their Pilsen Light DME with 50% pils and 50% 2 row. I'd be willing to bet if you use DME (I'm very partial to Briess) you'll get a lighter color.

i remember hearing something about Austin Homebrew Supply having an extremely low SRM on its Extra Pale Liquid Malt Extract.

The golden is a very light malt made with pale malt.The pilsen malt is a different flavor and not much different in color. Question how much lme are you using in your batch? The more you use the darker the beer will be. Are you using any specialty grains?

Northern Brewer uses Briess extract. Their golden extract is just pale extract. Austin Homebrew and Northern Brewer use Briess Pilsen extract for their extra pale extract.

The pilsen liquid extract has a lovibond of 2. Pilsen DME is dry malt extract made from the Pilsen liquid extract.

Forrest

Back