Swing-top bottles...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadrook

Reaction score
What's everyone's opinion on Swing-top bottles, like the ones Redstone Meadery uses?

Has anyone used these with their own batches?

It seems like they'd be prone to oxidation, but Redstone seems to have had some success with them.

Can they be stored on their side?

WAY too spendy for me, I have a few that I like to use though.
They work fine.
I have a stout that's pushing in on 10 years that's tasting mighty fine in swing top bottles.

Last month we opened a 4 year old mead that was nicely carbonated and tasted great. I've never had a problem with flip tops for mead or beer.

most pricing on swing top bottles has been just as expensive as just buying a bottle of grolsch. i figure itll be more fun drinking the beer and getting a bottle than purchasing a box of bottles. have heard of no problems with swingtops, have yet to use them myself yet

Swing-tops are great, I really like to use them more than regular bottles, though like everyone says they are expensive.

Seems they will work well for me, because i can get an import beer here from Belgium, which is good beer anyway, and then after i have guzzled down 2 cases or so (20 bottles in a case), and sterilized them, then i can easily bottle mead or cider without having to buy or replace any bottles... and from the prices i have seen online, i am paying much much less doing it this way than i would buying new swing top bottles. This is important for me here, because getting new bottles and caps/ capper/ corks, etc... has proven nearly impossible.

Try grabbing some swing-top bottles from your local recycle depot. I grab mine there for three bucks a dozen for the grolsch or the fischer.....whichever they have.

Back