First time brew: 3 piece airlock question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDogBrewing

Reaction score
I'm about to embark on my first brew: A nut brown ale that I plan on brewing on Turkey Day. My question is regarding the airlock: I have a 3-piece airlock from More Beer. Is is better to use vodka or sanitizer in the airlock? I'm assuming that I fill it to the line on the side, replace the airated lid, and be done with it? I know this sounds elementary, I just don't want to screw it up. Thanks.

I'm about to embark on my first brew: A nut brown ale that I plan on brewing on Turkey Day. My question is regarding the airlock: I have a 3-piece airlock from More Beer. Is is better to use vodka or sanitizer in the airlock? I'm assuming that I fill it to the line on the side, replace the airated lid, and be done with it? I know this souns elementary, I just don't want to screw it up. Thanks.
Also,
Read this blog before brewing.
http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Think_evaluation_before_action/
It may assuage some doubts.
Welcome and enjoy

I put sanitizer in mine....Vodka is for drinking....:cross: Anyway..... either will work....Hey maybe it'll give you an excuse to run to the liqour store because your low....

I put sanitizer in mine....Vodka is for drinking....:cross: Anyway..... either will work....Hey maybe it'll give you an excuse to run to the liqour store because your low....
Could do that, too, but you'd have to change out the sanitizer. Don't have to change out the vodka.

As for the drinking part, that's why I said really cheap vodka. I picked up a $6 bottle in February. I have used probably 5 percent of it.:ban:
And it tastes like crap.

I use cheap vodka, although sanitzer a no-rinse concentrations works. I don't do the sanitizer thing very often because my water chemistry is such that both iodophor and starsan die within a few hours.

Back