Extended mash times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewkyBrown

Reaction score
Is there any downside to having say a 2 or 3 hour mash time instead of the usual
1 hour? Is there any benefit?
I'm guessing as long as I can hold the temp steady it should be ok.
The reason I ask is I am finding it difficult to schedule a 5 hour all grain session with 2 young kids running around!

Not sure about extending the mash, but I'm in the same boat as you and here's what I do. I mash in the morning and get the wort into the boil kettle. Then I cover it and go spend time with my family. Later on when the kids nap or have some play time I go and finish up. Never had any problems brewing this way.

Extremely long mash times can lead to a slow or stuck sparge with certain grains and/or finer grinds. Other than that I know of no down side.

Longer mash times allow for more of the long chain sugars to be converted to short chains. So your beer might be a little more thin.

My blog and book have some information on this.
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2013/01/mash-temperature-theory.html

I know what you mean about a change in time to brew. Before my daughter was born I would do a 5 hour brew day twice a month. Now I just sneak in an extract batch here and there.

Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of leaving the wort in the kettle. I didn't think of that.
Having kids mean you drink more at home (less time at pub) but have less chance to replenish supplies!

Longer mash times allow for more of the long chain sugars to be converted to short chains. So your beer might be a little more thin.
Woudn't this be a good place for a mash-out even if batch sparging? Or get it in the kettle, bring the temperature up to 180 degrees, flame-out and let it sit with the lid on until you're ready to finish.

I have the same problem and do an overnight mash, using Brew In. A Bag. I set up at dough in just before bedtime. Then I wake up early and fire up for the boil. I wrap my pot with hot water tank insulation and ii find the tempo will drop about 10 degrees by the morning. In BIAB you do a full volume mash using full amount of water, it ends up a bit thick so I just leave in the and heat up for a mash out which thins it out before I remove the grain bag.
Let me know if you are interested and have any questions. You can also search HBT for overnight mash as there is a thread for the topic. It works quite well with no ill affects on my beer.

I am also looking into no chill brewing as another way to speed up/break up my brew day.

Woudn't this be a good place for a mash-out even if batch sparging? Or get it in the kettle, bring the temperature up to 180 degrees, flame-out and let it sit with the lid on until you're ready to finish.

This

I BIAB and for the same reasons did a good few overnight mashes. Found my beer coming out thinner so I not mash out and pull grain before bed

So the Title says Extended Mash Times but what is the ideal Mash time? I've seen recipes that say 45 min and some that say 90 min. What are the pros of a 90 min mash vs. 45 or 60 min.?

Enzymes are denatured with time. Mash thickness, crush, pH and temp determine how quick it takes to denature enzymes. Mash pH is important because A and B-amylase work within a certain pH band. If a brewer treats the brewing water to lower pH to 5.2, Beta favors the pH. The same pH retards Alpha. At 149F in about an hour B amylase is denatured in a thick mash. In two hours at 149F A amylase is denatured. Below 149F starch doesn't gelatinize, limiting enzymatic action. Below 149F, B-amylase only eliminates long chain dexitrins formed and do very little to reduce starch. The starch chain is made up of a reducing end and a non reducing end. B-amylase only does its thing to the non reducing end. It's a molecular bond with water. A-amylase chops up the starch chain creating more non reducing ends. There are branching and debranching enzymes. The enzymes create many non reducing ends. The enzymes are denatured at 140-145F in lower modified malt. They are inverted in high modified malt during kilning, making them useless. Check for conversion in 20 minutes if the iodine color doesn't change, thin down the mash. It will convert quickly. Why screw around after conversion? Mash out to denature enzymes and run it off. The problem with a mash out with infusion method. Starch that gets stuck in the husk or that isn't ground fine enough to gelatinize will burst. The enzymes being denatured by the high heat will do absolutely nothing with the excess starch. The starch ends up down the line, reducing the shelf life and stability of the final product. Add to it a batch sparge, washing the rest of the goop into the boiler. But, who cares when going from boiler to belly in 4 or 5 weeks.

Back