Wheat malt substitutions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastside

Reaction score
I'm new to grain brewing, so I thought I'd get some input from more experienced hands.

Would Midnight Wheat Malt serve as a substitution for chocolate and caramel wheat malt in a partial mash wheat porter? Any other appropriate substitution or suggestion? Is there a web resource for determining what ingredients are interchangeable?

Thanks!

I'd post the whole recipe so folks can give better advice. I don't have experience with midnight and chocolate wheat but I would think it would be a bit like trying to sub in black malt for chocolate in a regular porter - you could make something work but it's not going to be the same. As far as the carawheat you'd probably be closer subbing a similar lovibond carmel malt.

Midnight Wheat is closer to the dehusked Carafa malts -- it'll give you color without a whole lot of roast character. Are you trying to substitute for chocolate malt or chocolate wheat malt? Midnight wheat would be closer to chocolate wheat that regular chocolate malt.

Correct, I will be substituting chocolate wheat malt. Would I be missing much in terms of body or wheat flavor if I were to replace 1 lb of chocolate wheat and .5 lb of caramel wheat with just 1lb of midnight? It would drop my OG, but not by that much. Also looking at the SRM, the color would be significantly darker, but I'm not sure if that would be an issue.

Yes, I believe the flavors would be very different. Midnight wheat contributes very little flavor, just a mild roast when used in small amonts. Chocolate wheat is pretty comparable to chocolate malt. Midnight wheat is also much much darker than chocolate or caramel wheat.

Back