I'm brewing my first batch. For a milk stout is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshneedscoffee

Reaction score
Hello everybody! I'm really excited about getting into this as a new hobby.

I'm brewing a Brewers Best Milk Stout kit and I just racked to the secondary fermenter after being in the primary for about 6 days. There really wasn't that big of a head inside the bucket and the sediment at the bottom of the bucket was weird looking to me. I'm just paranoid I'm going to make something infected.

Opening primary

Bottom of primary

Thanks!

Perfectly normal. Ferrmentation is not pretty sometimes.

But guess what? You made beer.

You could have just left it in the primary for a couple more weeks and then bottled. The junk at the bottom would have compacted more that way and you would not have lost as much beer.

In a couple of weeks check the gravity and if it is stable, bottle it up. Wiat three weeks and put a few bottles in the fridge for a couple of days and enjoy your beer.

That looks fine. With all of those roasty, toasty grains, it isn't going to look anything like the bucket from a cream ale.

Did you rack it to a secondary for any particular reason?

Like everyone has said- that looks perfectly normal so don't be worried. It is generally believed around that it is a good practice to leave your beer in primary for at LEAST two weeks and often a month. This lets your yeast "clean up" and a lot more of the sediment you see will end up clumped on the bottom, with clear beer on top of it. Either way you are almost always going to have a ring of trub/hop sediment/yeast near the top of your bucket.

Back