Just tried Anchor Steam (I think) WOW is this really Anchor Steam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snoogles

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was at a restaurant and I ordered an Anchor Steam because I had never had it before. From what I read Steam beers are ales but generally taste more like a lager. I had heard about Anchor Steam a lot and had the idea in my head that it was just more of a mass produced, popular plain lagery tasting ale...

When I got my beer I was shocked to the point of wondering if they gave me the right thing (it was draft) It was DELICIOUS & light yet incredibly hoppy. It tasted as if it was hopped like an IPA... Maybe not necessarily as much hops as an IPA but the light body made the hops really shine through. Super Citrus, crisp and hoppy.

Is that how you would explain Anchor Steam? I read mixed results in reviews that I saw. Some people said it was kinda bland which is why I questioned whether they gave me the wrong beer or not. Color wise it was very light (didn't look like an IPA)

Sorry, odd question haha.

ARgg this is driving me nuts! And I live in Pennsylvania so I can't just go buy a 6 pack somewhere haha.

I just watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO4BTCy6JCU and the one dude, like you, said that it's bland and boring, the other dude gave it a 10 and said it was wonderful.

Im so confused. hah

I think Anchor Brewing is one of those companies that some people say Anchor Steam when they mean Anchor Brewing. You could have got a different Anchor Brewing beer like their Liberty Ale and they were just saying "Anchor Steam".

OK thanks everyone, I just called the place haha. It was Anchor Humming Ale! My mind has been put to rest

Not a fan of the Steam beers. bleh

Definitely not as you described. Glad you found out what it really was! The Weis Markets near me has Anchor steam in sixers.

I actually find fresh anchor steam to be fairly hoppy. Certainly balanced in that direction. I think people are just desensitized by the IIIIIPAs everybody drinks these days.

http://www.anchorbrewing.com/

One of my favorite brewing companies and if you ever get out their way, one of the coolest tours you can take as they are the only steam beer brewing company in the states and still brew their beer the way it was done back in the 1800's. Still using the original old copper kettles and equipment.

Back