dear god what went wrong with ipa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtk6006

Reaction score
It taste like lemon pledge and rubbing alcohol. Sure i used lemon zest but geeeeeebus! It wasnt even a ounce. Its either too strong or just crummy......i opened two and tasted both and couldnt get taste out of my mouth. Im dissapointed........

Did you get it hot at all either in the bottle or during fermentation? That made my IPA taste like straight booze one time.

Yes i did during fermentation it hit 78 degrees! I was having hard time keeping it cool. Its just plain hot here!

Yes i did during fermentation it hit 78 degrees! I was having hard time keeping it cool. Its just plain hot here!

Most likely your problem there. You don't know for sure what esters you'll get at high fermentation temps, but you'll get them. The lemon zest probably helped to accentuate the esters the yeast produced, and thus a big lemon flavor.

What yeast did you use?

Before you start your next brew, search out swamp cooler on this forum. It can alleviate the hot ferment that causes a lot of off flavors and hot alcohol taste.

+1 on the swamp cooler. Brought the quality of my beer from crap to gold instantaneously.

Yep. Sounds like fusel alcohols due to the high temps. Swamp cooler with frozen water bottles.

Back