Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dispater

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I haven't been on here in awhile so I thought I would give a quick up date. I recently moved to All Grain!! :tank: I have three all grain batches on the go. First one was just a basic ale. Turned out good. Had a metallic taste at first but faded with time. Second one is an IPA which will be really good in another week or two. Third is a Cherry Stout. Smelled awesome when I transferd to the secondary.
Now about the tile of this post. I am currently in the process of making a Pumpkin Ale. Just wondered if anyone has made one before and how it turned out? Here is the recipe I used.

9lbs 11.6oz of 2 row
2lbs 6.9oz of Crystal 60
1lbs 3.5oz of Amber Malt (Biscuit)
9.7oz Flaked Wheat
2.39L of Pumpkin (Canned Pumpkin 796ml)

1.2oz East Kent Goldings 60.0 min
.55 tsb Clove
.55 tsb Nutmeg
1.1 tsb Cinnamon
1.1 tsb Allspice

this is for 6.08 Gal. (23L)

I've made a pumpkin ale a couple of times. In addition to the spices you listed I've added a few slices of fresh ginger. I have also used canned pumpkin each time vs real pumpkin. Both times it has turned out very well...probably the fan favorite of my yearly brews.

My pumpkin ale is still in primary right now and still has about a week or so to go, maybe two, but a gravity reading last week was very promising. The base style was APA, which may have been a bold choice, but the finishing hops played really well with the pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices. By the time Halloween rolls around the flavors should meld together a bit more and be quite quaffable.

Ok well I may have a problem.
I didn't yeild as much as I wanted from the mash. I was looking to get about 24 to 26 liters. I ended up with about 20L after boiling I have about 18-19L. Also I broke my Hydrometer..... second one .... darn things roll too much. So now I have no clue about my gravity but I believe im off because everything was calculated by beer smith. So ..... What would you do? I have half a bottle of maple syrup that I think would go nice but when would I add it? Secondary?

I also have a bunch of dextrose. What if I dissolved a bit in water, to top up to 23L 6.08Gal, then add some of the maple syrup in the secondary?

I wouldn't mess with it, honestly. The likelihood is that you have the right gravity, just not as much of it because of trub/chiller/pumpkin losses. Just let it go and see what you get. Taste it in a couple weeks, see how it tastes and then base your next actions off that sample. No sense messing with it if it's what you wanted in the first place.

But I plan on topping it off to 23L. So that would change the gravity would it not? Or am I being greedy. Should I just go with what I got?

I've always been of the opinion that I'd rather have less of the beer I intended to brew than more of a sub-par beer. Just my opinion, though.

I just couldn't do it. There was about 18L. So I topped it off to 23L and added some dextrose. I will post the results in about a month. I plan on doing primary for two weeks then secondary for 2 weeks then straight to the keg. I will update on my cherry stout by then as well, one more week in secondary then 2-3 weeks in bottles. I may regret having some of my home-brew while brewing..... improv works better for those who are trained in the subject.

Just put it in the keg tonight. Will update on results Friday or Sat. Cherry stout is bottled. Tried one only after a week and it tasted great but very little cherry flavor. I added cherry puree straight to the primary if anyone was wondering. Maybe next time I will try secondary. But overall its a great stout.

Well I have to say.... This beer is fantastic. I picked up a six pack of pumpkin beer from the store, having never tried a pumpkin beer, to compare against my own. I am surprised how close my beer is to the store bought, I would say for the better. The only real difference is that the spice is more pronounced in the store bought which is something I can easily achieve next time if I wanted to. However in my beer you still get the aroma and flavor just not as strong, meaning you can drink more beer without getting sick of the spice taste :tank: and now I have a whole Keg of Pumpkin Ale.

Good job! I recently made my first all grain pumpkin ale and it turned out great. It's still under carbed because its been in bottle only a week but flavor wise it competes with the Uinta and Wasatch pumpkin ales I've had. I used about the same amount of spices as you and had the same issue yield wise. While I normally lose about a quarter to a half gallon of beer to trub etc. I lost almost a whole gallon on this one. It's about a quarter gallon more than anticipated but it all worked out. Hit my numbers due to higher efficiency i believe than beer smith gave me and couldn't be happier. Cheers to your pumkin ale!

Back