Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
neko said:
But Blue Moon is part of the MC empire :drunk: Maybe not the light lager, but it's still a BMC.

Yup, Blue Moon is made by Coors. Also same goes when people drink shock top. They think their drinking "craft" beer but it's actually made by Anheuser.

But Blue Moon is part of the MC empire :drunk: Maybe not the light lager, but it's still a BMC.

Yeah, that's kinda the point, plus even if it weren't, it's not a complex, imported beer by any means.

bradpoff said:
I was in a restaurant in auburn Alabama and the menu listed domestic and imported beers. Sam Adams was listed under the imports!

Yup been like that for years were im at. Anythin that was craft was under imports. Retarted.

shaneogle89 said:
Yup, Blue Moon is made by Coors. Also same goes when people drink shock top. They think their drinking "craft" beer but it's actually made by Anheuser.

Yup and shock top is awful. Smack in the face for real beers. But the yuppies dig it up like BUd Light 6%. So sad. But hey more good beer fkr the Real Ale drinkers.

Ok, I know we are supposed to be beer snobs but sheesh. I mean I like what I brew, that's why I brew it. People like what they like. I don't like IPAs or really big stouts. I know that makes me uncool, but I like what I like, and so does everyone else, you know?

I like what I like as well and know I hate Shocktop and Bluemoon. Just my opinion but they taste terrible.

Overheard this gem of information, "The difference between an IPA and a red is that the hops are cooked longer in the red than they are in the IPA" .............. :fro:

Just yesterday one of my relatives said his favorite types of beer are stouts and ales. :facepalm:

Yo Mark, stouts are ales.

:crickets:

This thread took a turn. It's one thing to post amusing things people have said, but it's another to look down your nose at people who like beer you feel is beneath you. Remember guys, there's a big difference between beer enthusiast and beer snob.

My thing is people who act like they're above BMC drinkers because they drink Blue Moon...who think that it's vastly superior in quality to BMC, etc. They're the ones being snobs, I'm merely pointing out they're really not drinking that great of beer.

Just yesterday one of my relatives said his favorite types of beer are stouts and ales. :facepalm:

Yo Mark, stouts are ales.

:crickets:

I have to admit I didn't really know the difference at one point. Even if I knew Lagers and Ales, I couldn't tell you which a beer was unless it was printed on it. Once Budweiser started saying "The Great American Lager" I knew that all crappy light beers were "lagers" and I knew Bass was an ale, Harp was a lager, etc. because they printed it on the label!

I don't fault people for that because I figured you'd have to be obsessed with beer to know those things back then. It is funny to hear people act like they know the difference, though.

I was getting a tour at a brewery by their newest brewer. He later admitted he'd never homebrewed, and was still learning but these was the answer to one question:

The difference between dry hopping and wet hopping is that wet hopping is with pellets and dry hopping is with whole hops.

He later told me that his first beer he made the recipe for himself was about to come on tap and he really likes super bitter beers so he dry hopped the **** out of it at the end...

"Bock beer is the darker beer that they take from the bottom of the barrel"

That one is actually fairly common. My grandpa-in-law always tells me that the breweries "scrape the bottom of the barrels" and make their bocks with that stuff. Although he says that's why bocks are seasonal, because the brewery only does this at the end of the year.

I don't know. I want to tell him the truth, but he's such a nice old man, I can't bring myself to correct him.

I was getting a tour at a brewery by their newest brewer. He later admitted he'd never homebrewed, and was still learning but these was the answer to one question:

The difference between dry hopping and wet hopping is that wet hopping is with pellets and dry hopping is with whole hops.

I had a similar experience on a brewery tour, although it was not a brewer giving the tour.

The tour leader kept repeating that dry hopping made beer more bitter, I kept repeating that it didn't, and nobody else on the tour really gave a damn.

KISS Brew said:
I had a similar experience on a brewery tour, although it was not a brewer giving the tour.

The tour leader kept repeating that dry hopping made beer more bitter, I kept repeating that it didn't, and nobody else on the tour really gave a damn.

Yeah I was just buzzed enough to want to correct him and give people other answers and my wife just kept telling me to settle and have another beer

They just wanted to be told something they didn't already know...whether it was right or wrong!

My brother actually knows his beers fairly well and drinks the good stuff, but he swears up and down that he hates lagers. I always have to remind him that you can't just say that. It doesn't work that way. There are great Marzens and black lagers (etc.) that are not only fantastic, but can also be quite indistinguishable from ales. Then he calls me a beer snob.

Ugh I do hate getting "Ale" when I ask what kind of beer something is. Doubly so if it's at a "beer bar".

I was told Belgians don't make real beer because they are to fruity. As the guy was pouring a Franz hefe dunkle. I will have to admit I giggled inside.

Continuing with the whole "ale" thing. I was reading the description for a brewfest and it said something like, "You'll find a variety of beers. From IPAs to ales..." It's one thing for a person to confuse things, but a brewfest?

Yup and shock top is awful. Smack in the face for real beers. But the yuppies dig it up like BUd Light 6%. So sad. But hey more good beer fkr the Real Ale drinkers.

Shock top is awful! But my friends who drink BMC think it's the Sh*t. Hey to each his own, but I'm happy with my IPA's :)

I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, because it's highly likely that I said something like that during my younger days. What I dislike, though, is if someone who says something like that is a jerk.

I do get bothered sometimes by the, "I prefer lagers." Or, "I don't like dark/hoppy beers." Then again, these are just people who have very novice-level beer terminology. If we didn't talk to them, the likelihood of them attempting to describe their likes would be greatly reduced.

Yeah, the guy who taught me how to brew beer asked me what kind of beer I liked and I said, "Oh, I don't know, I mostly like ales and lagers." He didn't say anything, but he certainly made a face.

I don't get the hatred for Shocktop and Blue Moon. I'm quite fond of both of them, despite knowing that they're owned by the big international conglomerates so often called "BMC"...
It doesn't change the fact that they are easy drinking beers with some actual flavor- the fact that they're offered in so many bars and restaurants now does amazing things for "real" craft beer.

If you don't care for them, that's your opinion and prerogative, but that doesn't make them foul just because you say so, no matter how loudly or often.
Hell, I drank Blue Moon for a while as I was dipping my toes into craft beer, and it's what gave me the confidence to try imported belgians and other superficially similar beers like hefe's- cloudy beer is almost scary when all you've been exposed to is fizzy yellow water.

I'm by no means an expert, but I know a lot more now because I was introduced to the rest of the beer world.

I don't get the hatred for Shocktop and Blue Moon. I'm quite fond of both of them, despite knowing that they're owned by the big international conglomerates so often called "BMC"...
It doesn't change the fact that they are easy drinking beers with some actual flavor- the fact that they're offered in so many bars and restaurants now does amazing things for "real" craft beer.

If you don't care for them, that's your opinion and prerogative, but that doesn't make them foul just because you say so, no matter how loudly or often.
Hell, I drank Blue Moon for a while as I was dipping my toes into craft beer, and it's what gave me the confidence to try imported belgians and other superficially similar beers like hefe's- cloudy beer is almost scary when all you've been exposed to is fizzy yellow water.

I'm by no means an expert, but I know a lot more now because I was introduced to the rest of the beer world.

Exactly. And it seems to me that there are an awful lot of requests for a Blue Moon clone recipe...

Like I said to each his own, I just don't prefer them myself. Personally they taste like fake oranges. But if you like it go ahead and drink it. If it's what go you into craft brewery then GREAT! Like I said I personally don't like them.

I live in Georgia so there is a lot of misinformation going around in this state. I was once at a bar in the boonies and asked if they have any craft beer on tap. The hot redneck waitress replied "our new one is Red Hare lager" (which is actually a new craft brewer in the state) and I was very surprised.

As much **** as we talk about Blue Moon and Shock Top, I think they serve a great purpose. They lay the ground work so that people can get into micro brews. Getting drinkers over the initial light lager hurdle is huge even if it's an American style hefe.

I have a friend who over the years has provided me with inner laughter and sometimes frustration with what he says about beer. One time I had him try a Hoegaarden and he made this horrible face and said "that's like, not even beer!" and then he went back to drinking his bud lite. He started coming around to craft beer a couple years ago. I gave him a Left Hand Milk Stout and he liked it but said he could taste the milk in it. Even my wife whose only knowledge of beer is what I ramble on about to her got a kick out of that comment. I was talking one day about some fruit beers I like and some I was brewing and he told me " I don't care for fruit beer, I like more traditional beer." I didn't even bother explaining anything about "tradition" to him. Now he's on a kick of drinking Black Butte Porter and 1554 and thinks he knows everything about "dark" beer and acts like he invented the act of drinking dark beer. He says he likes beers that have a "chocolate finish". He uses that term to describe every stout or porter he buys. Chocolate finish this, chocolate finish that. I don't know where he got that term from but it drives me crazy every time I hear it!

A lady at a bar once explained how dark beers get their taste compared to light beers. Its because they cook them longer. When I asked for details, she explained that the light lager she was drinking was such because it was cold brewed and thus not cooked at all. My wife and I enjoyed her remarks so much, that I paid her tab before I left.

Another anecdote, my brother got into craft beers way after the rest of our friends and I did. My buddy and I were discussing the merits of his new homebrew when my brother chimes in, "hey, I like this! Does this have any barley in it? It doesn't taste like it has any barley in it."

We both gave him a blank stare and then continued our conversation. He still says random **** like that all the time.

Another anecdote, my brother got into craft beers way after the rest of our friends and I did. My buddy and I were discussing the merits of his new homebrew when my brother chimes in, "hey, I like this! Does this have any barley in it? It doesn't taste like it has any barley in it."

We both gave him a blank stare and then continued our conversation. He still says random **** like that all the time.

Haha I actually got a good laugh off that one!

My neighbor came over while i was brewing one day, and asked if i brewed ales or lagers. I told him i didnt have the set up to lager yet. He then tells me that all i have to do is freeze it, then let it thaw.
He has also told me that coors wont freeze because it is cold brewed, and ales are darker than lagers.

a comment on one on my lite beers:

"You must have rebrewed this 4 times, it has way more hops than miller and thats triple hopped, I didn't know an individuals could buy hops in bulk like breweries."

(a grand total of 1oz hallertau and 1oz saaz)

Couple years back, my buddies and I were at the local brewpub when some chick walked over. Obviously drunk, she asked my buddy if he would buy her a beer...he refused but allowed her to try the hefe he had been drinking. She tried a sip and then stepped back with a disgusted face and said Ewwww! That's fat Beer! And walked away....

Billybrewer09 said:
My neighbor came over while i was brewing one day, and asked if i brewed ales or lagers. I told him i didnt have the set up to lager yet. He then tells me that all i have to do is freeze it, then let it thaw.
He has also told me that coors wont freeze because it is cold brewed, and ales are darker than lagers.

*smirk and shaking head in dissapointment

Back