Threw in sugar to salvage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BogusOwnz

Reaction score
I was brewing my house beer which I've brewed tons of times. It's is a 1.042 starting gravity session black ale with all chinook. I'm not sure what went wrong in the brew day but my starting gravity came up short at 1.030. So I dissolved a pound of turbinado sugar in a cup of water and brought it to a boil then cooled it down to 70 degrees and poured into the wort. This brought the beer up to 1.040 and this morning when I got up the beer is fermenting away.

I'm curious what the finished product will be I'm thinking the only possible negative outcome is that the beer might come off a bit thin.

I agree I'm banking on 1.008 which is fine since when I normally make I it goes down to 1.010-1.008 all malt. Ya 1.000 is a far stretch.

Tiber_Brew said:
Maybe 1.008 or 1.004, but I can't see 1.000

I just saw this, on a 1.120 OG IPA... Frikkin wlp099. We'll, now you've seen it ;)

image-3733555873.jpg

Tiber_Brew said:
That's a different beer, bonehead! I've seen beers finish low before, but I obviously meant that I can't see this beer finishing at 1.000 :rolleyes:

Watch your mouth.

I think the molasses from the turbinado sugar will add a nice complexity, especially for a black ale.

I'm pretty sure the point of turbinado sugar is that it doesn't have molasses. It's naturally brown because it's unrefined from brown sugar cane. Regular brown sugar is white table sugar with molasses added. Whenever I've used turbinado in a beer, it is highly fermentable.

That said, I'm betting on the addition being great, though it will probably be a bit drier than your usual recipe. Not a bad thing in my opinion! :mug:

lowtones84 said:
I'm pretty sure the point of turbinado sugar is that it doesn't have molasses. It's naturally brown because it's unrefined from brown sugar cane. Regular brown sugar is white table sugar with molasses added. Whenever I've used turbinado in a beer, it is highly fermentable.

That said, I'm betting on the addition being great, though it will probably be a bit drier than your usual recipe. Not a bad thing in my opinion! :mug:

Really? I thought it still had a trace of molasses. I'll have to look that up.

bottlebomber said:
I just saw this, on a 1.120 OG IPA... Frikkin wlp099. We'll, now you've seen it ;)

Plus you can't see his hand holding the hydrometer! ;-)

Tiber_Brew said:
You have got to be fricken kidding me.

No, I'm completely serious. I don't know who you think you are to start talking to me like that. You don't know anything about the recipe or process other than that it's 25% sugar. Mashing temp, yeast, nothing. I have a dry Irish stout I've made twice that comes in at 1.050 and finishes at 1.006-1.008 and it's all malt. A 1.030 beer with a 10 point sugar addition could finish as low as 1.0. To say that you can't see that happening, then insult me when I illustrate a much more extreme case of attenuation, is totally out of line. Nice to meet you by the way.

bottlebomber said:
No, I'm completely serious. I don't know who you think you are to start talking to me like that. You don't know anything about the recipe or process other than that it's 25% sugar. Mashing temp, yeast, nothing. I have a dry Irish stout I've made twice that comes in at 1.050 and finishes at 1.006-1.008 and it's all malt. A 1.030 beer with a 10 point sugar addition could finish as low as 1.0. To say that you can't see that happening, then insult me when I illustrate a much more extreme case of attenuation, is totally out of line. Nice to meet you by the way.

You are taking this way too seriously. I suppose it's hard to gather tone from reading typed comments, so I don't blame you. I should have added that the "fricken kidding me" line was meant to be read in the voice of Carl from ATHF. If you knew me, you wouldn't have been offended. My bad.

An all malt beer going from 1.050 - 1.006 must've been mashed pretty low. You are making just as much of an assumption as I when asserting an extremely low FG based on what we know. I've made beers with sugar additions that finished at 1.010. Interesting, isn't it? I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Is it possible for it to finish @ 1.000? I suppose. If I were a betting man, I would wager a 1.004 - 1.006 FG. But, ultimately, we don't know what it will be yet.

Tiber_Brew said:
You are taking this way too seriously. I suppose it's hard to gather tone from reading typed comments, so I don't blame you.

that's what the emos are for.

;) this one makes everything better, no matter how rude
:rolleyes: and this one makes everything rude, even if you didn't intend it to be

bottlebomber said:
that's what the emos are for.

;) this one makes everything better, no matter how rude
:rolleyes: and this one makes everything rude, even if you didn't intend it to be

But I don't want to wink at you. [says Tiber, with a chuckle and a smirk on his face]

Sorry I didn't share th grain bill. The grains used are:

6 gallons
70%EFF
SG 1.042
FG 1.010-1.009

8.75lb two row
.5lb crystal 60
.5 carafa 3
.25 Simpsons English dark chocolate

Mash at about 151 and batch sparge. I use US-05 yeast.

Lol, time will tell I sure hope it doesn't finish that low. Krausen just disappeared and some airlock activity left. I'm down to 1.010 now so it's for sure going to finish lower then 1.010.

brown sugar is not as refined, therefore it has molasses in it.

It's funny the things you can freak out about in brewing. Had an off brew day and had bad effecientcy while brewing my house beer which I brew every couple months. I threw a pound of dissolved sugar into cooled wort and pitched yeast to save it and have been freaking out about it ever since. I just took a sample out of the fermenter and to be honest I can't tell the damn difference from previous batches. In a couple days I'll dry hop it and keg and move on.

P.s. I don't plan to add turbinado sugar to the recipe going forward but it's nice to have a fall back technique If needed.

Back