Hoppy Wits & Wheat beers = new Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoreman

Reaction score
I've been seeing alot of homebrew blog posts on the hoppy wits and just made one myself with all tettnanger hops then dry hopped with cascade and tettnanger. I also dry spiced with coriander & orange peel - fermented with brewferm wit yeast - the bitterness and aroma works really well with the spicing, creamy mouthfeel from oats and yeast. Surprising results in this one- very refreshing and not over the top at all.

Do you think this is the next "hot" style in craft?

It seems like the latest trend in craft and homebrew is always going to be stepping outside of the "traditional" styles. Taking a pale style and making it black, taking a traditionally low IBU style and hopping it up to IPA levels, etc. It's just a way of striving to create something unique. In some cases it gives rise to new, fantastic styles. That being said, I enjoy Belgians and I love IPAs, but I have yet to have a "Belgian IPA" that I was very impressed with. Some styles just don't seem to mesh to me.

I like some of the Belgian PAs and IPAs, but can't get on board with Black IPAs. Hops + Roastiness doesn't do it for me...hops need to shine.

ktblunden said:
It seems like the latest trend in craft and homebrew is always going to be stepping outside of the "traditional" styles. Taking a pale style and making it black, taking a traditionally low IBU style and hopping it up to IPA levels, etc. It's just a way of striving to create something unique. In some cases it gives rise to new, fantastic styles. That being said, I enjoy Belgians and I love IPAs, but I have yet to have a "Belgian IPA" that I was very impressed with. Some styles just don't seem to mesh to me.

Really great thoughts here thanks for sharing.

I didn't think I would like the Belgian ipa style but have had some outstanding examples especially Cambridge brewpubs

I like some of the Belgian PAs and IPAs, but can't get on board with Black IPAs. Hops + Roastiness doesn't do it for me...hops need to shine.

Which ones have you tried? You might be surprised if you haven't tried one. Done right they are really good.

Gumballhead is a really really good hoppy wheat. I like it better than Little Sumpin Sumpin.

I could go either way about a hoppy wheat but those hoppy wits are revolting. There's a local brewery (Deep Ellum) that makes one. It's disgusting. It doesn't really taste like a wit and the hops don't mesh well with what little wit flavor there is. It makes me want to drive my car through the brewery in hopes of destroying their ability to ever make that beer again.

I guess to each his or her own but I just don't get the draw.

That being said, I enjoy Belgians and I love IPAs, but I have yet to have a "Belgian IPA" that I was very impressed with. Some styles just don't seem to mesh to me.

Have you tried Flying Dog Raging *****? I think it's fantastic.

Also, I had Blue Point's White IPA and thought it was really interesting/tasty

Agreed - delicious. Houblon Chouffe is also amazing...there's a darn good clone recipe on here.

I'm a huge fan of the hoppy wheats...have you seen Boederij_Kabouter's Titania? It's an awesome recipe - tons of hops, really low bitterness. Kolsch yeast works well with C-hops.

I have not, but I was just looking at it in Bevmo yesterday and thinking I had seen someone recommend it just the other day on here. I don't necessarily have a block on the style, but I don't usually go out of my way to try new ones.

+1 it's the only "Belgian IPA" I've found so far that I like.

They also have a new one called "Wildeman Farmhouse IPA" which is almost like a Saison-IPA. It's good, but I think Raging ***** is better.

Flying Dog makes good beer.

I've been having to make a batch of Little Sumpin Sumpin clone every month or so just to keep the missus happy. It's a tasty style.

Would you mind sharing your clone recipe with me? I just tried LSS for the first time last week and went crazy over it. It's not something we can get here but a friend who traveled brought me back two. They were gone almost immediately.

Would you mind sharing your clone recipe with me? I just tried LSS for the first time last week and went crazy over it. It's not something we can get here but a friend who traveled brought me back two. They were gone almost immediately.

It's a Jamil recipe, described on "Can You Brew It":
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/705
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-lagunitas-little-sumpin-sumpin-218399/

It's a pretty solid clone. I simplified the (ridiculously complex) hops a bit, since it felt a little silly to add *2g* of Horizon and Summit. I've made 3 or four batches now and each one has been delicious.

Which ones have you tried? You might be surprised if you haven't tried one. Done right they are really good.

Gumballhead is a really really good hoppy wheat. I like it better than Little Sumpin Sumpin.

Stone 15th Anniversary, 21st Back in Black, Iniquity, Self-Righteous...that's what I can remember. It's just a style that doesn't appeal to me.

We don't get any 3 Floyds brews out in PA...at least not that I've seen. But Little Sumpin Sumpin is really good.

OK, I've gotta say, I picked up the Sam Adams IPA Hop-ology pack over the weekend and I opened up the Grumpy Monk tonight and it is a really good blending of the Belgian and IPA styles.

Back